Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Oats so simple

2»

Replies

• OkieTink
    OkieTink Posts: 285 Member
    My latest addiction.

Slow Cooker, Apple Cinnamon Steel-Cut Oatmeal

2 apples, peeled, cored, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
    1-1/2 cups fat-free milk (or almond milk)
    1-1/2 cups water
    1 cup uncooked steel-cut oats
    2 tablespoons brown sugar (I use Splenda brown sugar)
    1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
    1 tablespoon ground flax seed

Coat inside of 3-1/2 quart (or larger) slow cooker with cooking spray. Add all ingredients to slow cooker. Stir, cover, and cook on low for approx. 7 hours (slow cooker times can vary). Store leftovers in refrigerator. Freezes well.

To reheat single servings: Put 1-cup cooked oatmeal in microwave proof bowl. Add 1/3 cup fat-free milk or water, microwave on high for 1 minute; stir. Continue cooking for another minute, or until hot.

Recipe can be doubled in 6-quart or larger slow cooker. Increase cooking time 1 hour.

Nutritional Info (per 3/4 cup serving): 149 calories, 3.6g fat, 27.3g carbs, 3.9g fiber, 4.9g protein; Weight Watchers PointsPlus: 4 pts
  • langsyne
    langsyne Posts: 106 Member
    Hi Everybody, just to clarify, any oats that are not a whole oat are usually 'steel cut' oats, what else would the miller cut them in to smaller pieces with. It's a bit of a 'marketing' term that sounds very technical but really, they are all steel cut.
    Hope that helps.
    I have also noticed that Morrisons's are selling Mornflake Oats for 60p! I always find these the creamiest. Also their equivalent microwave sachets I've noticed in Tesco at 2 for £3!!

Steel cut vs rolled oats. They take longer to cook, and have a nutty texture. Also slower to digest and leave you feeling full longer and less likely to cause carb induced insulin spike.