Eye roll-Calories burned calcs for any activity

Options
Ok, so maybe I am just in one of those moods....but when I go onto a site with a calories burned calculator and they include teeth brushing, ironing and things of this nature I really want to give a huge rolling of the eyes. Just had to get that our there and wonder if anyone else thinks the same thing because if people are counting these things and then eating to their full calories including those burned wouldn't it mess it up in the long run? Sorry, just had to vent.

Replies

• Kurrsteee
    Kurrsteee Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I have a vague understanding of people logging cleaning as exercise (I think it's stupid, but that's irrelevant), however, brushing your teeth? Surely, you don't need to log something so small? I mean, it must burn, what, 2 calories? At most. Wow.
  • twelker878
    twelker878 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I agree with you 100%. I always think to myself "well, weren't you cleaning the house and doing meal preparation when you became overweight? "
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Your saying you rather people have gingivitis and crumpled shirts? Not me Miss, not me.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,068 Member
    Options
    This has been brought up in other threads here, and it doesn't seem to go over well.

I wouldn't use them, but I could not care less what other people do.
  • CKJ118
    CKJ118 Posts: 54
    Options
    I did not put it out there to judge anyone because what they log is their own business.....I just think that if they are going to ask you what activity level you are such as sedentary, active, or athletic when calculating daily calorie needs then wouldn't daily activities of life already be counted?
  • ShadowMinx
    ShadowMinx Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I count cleaning because doing a heavy duty deep clean is part of my job and is quite a workout.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I log the calories I burn rolling my eyes.
  • Texafornia23
    Texafornia23 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Seems a pretty small thing to get concerned about and there's probably bigger issues out there for you to crusade against. If they're paying that much attention, and it helps someone stay focused, then good for them. I certainly don't log those mundane activities any more than I'd log eating a single grape, but that's me. As far as what anyone else does... if it helps their mindset then why would I care?
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    .... and sex has to be logged as golf. True story.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Brushing your teeth seems trivial to add. But, if you have your activity level set to sedentary and then do several hours of heavy cleaning, it may make sense to eat an extra hundred calories that day. It definitely won't set you back any.
  • xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I don't log cleaning or any other "daily" thing but I see a lot of people getting angry that people are logging "cleaning, light effort" and burning hundreds of calories. Keep in mind that whatever the first exercise you enter for the day is, all others will show on your feed under that category. So just b/c it saying someone burning 1000 calories cleaning, they may have done an actual workout but there feed isn't reflecting it.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    How many do I burn for eye rolling?

ETA I also put a peanut above each eyelid, before I roll the eyeballs, so that has to count for something in the calorie burn?
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    I did not put it out there to judge anyone because what they log is their own business.....I just think that if they are going to ask you what activity level you are such as sedentary, active, or athletic when calculating daily calorie needs then wouldn't daily activities of life already be counted?

Well, some folks haven't gotten off the couch for like 3 or 4 days. We'll give it to them. 'sides, maybe they have a huge tooth.
  • amandapye78
    amandapye78 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    The only thing I did was put that I was active because I clean for a living houses and offices and that does burn some calories (like lugging a 30 lb vacuum up 4 flights of stairs twice daily lol).
  • CKJ118
    CKJ118 Posts: 54
    Options
    I am sorry if I hurt anyone's feelings. I definitely agree with the mindset comment and see where you are coming from. There were just times in my weight loss where I could have seen this being a hurdle for me.
  • susan_skipper
    Options
    I clean houses for a living and at the end of the day I have usually cleaned two houses for a total of 6 hours. I think I burn up quite a few calories doing this but not as much as what this site says I do. According to this, I burn 250 calories an hour. Maybe I do when I am washing walls and windows but not if it is basic housecleaning. So if I put down housecleaning for six hours, that is a heck of a lot of calories burned and I should be super skinny! On the days when I am doing a lot of reaching, climbing bending etc then I put in just one hour of basic cleaning instead of 6 hrs. for 250 calories. I log exercise for myself so I can keep track of things. I dont do it to impress anyone. If someone wants to track brushing their teeth so they can give themselves a little treat at the end of the day with calories burned, then go for it.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I would think that some of those things are listed because people are curious to know. Can't see even the laziest person logging teeth brushing as exercise
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Oh! So that's how Tiger Woods got into trouble...
  • rascallycat
    rascallycat Posts: 248 Member
    Options

I wish someone had told me this sooner. I log it as 'Intense Cardio and Olympic Style Gymnastic workout'
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I only log cleaning in the Spring..Fall...and holiday time. That's when I do all the "good" stuff.

Unless it's doing the kitchen floor. I don't "mop" persay. I get down with the scrub brush and get at it. That's maybe every other week. Except in the winter when I have to do the entryway every day because of the salt, slush and snow coming in. Yetch!

I feel to each their own. They know what they are doing and if it's hurting them, then so be it.

Hmm...sex is logged as golf? Interesting.