What can I do??

Options
Anyone have any ideas as to what I can do for cardio with a pulled muscle in my thigh? Its not really bad, but I would rather not irritate it right now since I have a trainer session this weekend, but I dont want to lose my momentum. Any ideas??

Replies

• ractayjon
    ractayjon Posts: 365
    Options
    pretend you are jumping rope on one foot for 30 seconds, then plant your legs and do a "punching" motion back forth back forth for 30 seconds, then drop and do some push ups...add jumping jacks if the leg is ableto do that -- if not keep rotaing these few...you could even add some steps in there depedning on the leg.....
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Shadow boxing, in a chair. Looks easy, but try to keep it up for 5 minutes straight!
  • AlynnP1005
    AlynnP1005 Posts: 195
    Options
    Thanks, those are great ideas :) I will try them out today :)
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    Shadow boxing, in a chair. Looks easy, but try to keep it up for 5 minutes straight!

What is shadow boxing?
  • onehealthymomma07
    Options
    i love that song its really touching, and about exercise stick with upper body for now .. hope u have a fast and speedy recovery.
  • CasperO
    Options

What is shadow boxing?
    You remember the rocky movies,,, when he was working out training for the big fight? He would lift his fists up to eye level and practice throwing punches. Jabs-hooks-uppercuts-body shots - done quickly and forcefully with lots of 'snap' - twisting the torso, feinting with the head, swiveling at the hips. That's 'shadow boxing'. Working on combinations of punches. 'left jab-left jab-right hook-duck the head",,, stuff like that. Change it up, move it around.

Normally it involves lots of leg work too, keeping the knees bent, bouncing on the balls of the feet and shifting weight left-right-forward-back - but our friend with the bad leg can do the waist up half and get a great workout.

It's great exercise, will really wear you out. To make it even harder, try it with something a little heavyish in each hand like a roll of quarters or something.
  • AlynnP1005
    Options
    I did the shadow boxing for the past three days now, sitting down, with 1lb hand weights and WOW! What a workout lol I was sweating like crazy, and my arms feel sore. I think I am going to incorporate it into my regular routine since I can never find stuff for my upper body that I enjoy, and I had fun doing it. I also used the Wii with my 4 year old Friday night, played tennis and boxing, sitting down, and that was a killer workout too. I am kind of glad I had to find other ways to work out the past couple days, really helped me open my eyes and step out of the walk/run for cardio box.
  • CasperO
    Options
    Kewl, good for you, you rock Lynn.

How goes recovery?
  • AlynnP1005
    Options
    I'm pretty much good to go with the leg, its wasnt a serious pull or anything, still a bit tender but I can walk on it now without it hurting. My trainer is modifying my plan for the next week or so just to make sure I dont re-injure it.

Thanks for asking :)