Absolute (wobbly) beginner-how to start?

Options
Dear all, I am utterly wimpy and very overweight (good job it's not a chat up line) I have at my disposal a set of six dumb bells 1.1kg to 4.5 kg...I have trouble with the "large" one.

Can anyone recommend a beginner set to start with - I confess I am slightly afraid as I have sporadic sciatic pain but I really want to start some arm work...I am not overstating it when I say they are BAD. I think I know what a bicep curl is and the one when you hve your elbow back and curl behind for the tricep. Anything else would be making it up.

help anyone? thanks, Liz :ohwell:

Replies

• Jo2926
    Jo2926 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I love this, and you don't need any weights for all but one exercise:

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/
  • harribeau2012
    harribeau2012 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Jo THANK YOU- that looks really great I can see myself doing that (would be doing it now but I JUST ate dinner!) I ccan do it here and my hubby and sons can help me - laugh themselves stupid but help :D:flowerforyou:
  • Jo2926
    Jo2926 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    The great thing is your hubby and sons can do it too but make it harder! They can do one legged squats and higher weights. Make it hard enough and there will be no laughing on their part!

Good luck!
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    being shaky is part of the learning process. You are teaching your muscles to do something new, so your brain needs some time to adjust properly. You'll be surprised one day when you go through a work out smooth and steady without even realizing that things have changed.
  • LisaAvasNana
    LisaAvasNana Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Great topic. I'm visiting my mom in Florida but gonna find the weights when I get back to Michigan.
  • aerochic42
    aerochic42 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    bump