Pub Sunday Roast

Options
How many calories does a typical roast beef or chickend sunday roast at a pub have? I just randomly put this in my food diary but the amounts vary from 700-1000 calories and I'm not sure which is the most accurate. Is it really that unhealthy since roasts tend to have a lot of veg? 1000 calories seems like a lot.

Replies

• Danni1585
    Danni1585 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Happy I you want to add me and look at my food diary today, I hate a big Sunday dinner. It is tough, MFP calculator is a guide, I personally track my veggies etc induvidually but some restaurant brands are on the tracker. It's more than I thought, I still missed my Yorkshire pudding and proper roast potatoes and gravy but it all adds up. The positive is that I am at least moderating my usual dinner to I head in the right direction but the cals do add up. Hope this helps a little x
  • shiraleerussell
    shiraleerussell Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It all depends what your roast dinner consisted of, but I wouldn't be surprised by 1000 calories - that is typically the amount of calories they say is in a typical Christmas roast lunch with all the trimmings.

I guess it all adds up, especially if you having a large serving of meat (they normally serve more in pubs than you would normally have) added to that , gravy, roast potatoes, possibly other roasted veges, and potentially even a large serving of Yorkshire pudding which could even tip it over 1000 calories - it all adds up. (When I made Yorkshire puddings at home I worked out they were about 300 calories each). The Yorkshire Pudding aside, I think the biggest calories is probably the roast potatoes and other roast veges (like pumpkin, carrots, parsnip), all done in oil, less healthy than if you had cooked it at home yourself.

Having said that I have had some much healthier roasts when out than others, with a lot more boiled veges than baked - that, and the different amount of meat, may account for the large difference in calorie counts on MFP.

If you wanted to try and get a more accurate count you you could try adding all of the individual components and seeing how that added up for you - while accounting for a reasonable amount of oil which the roasted vegetables would have been cooked in.