• magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • ArtGeek22
    ArtGeek22 Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's fine.

^^ Agreed. But diet soda may make you crave more carbs (they do for me :ohwell:) and is full of chemicals including Aspartame.
  • Ameythist
    Ameythist Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I think so. I prefer Coke Zero, though. No calories and doesn't taste like diet.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Yup......
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    If anyone can find a credible source definitively proving the link between aspartame and cancer please do share.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    If anyone can find a credible source definitively proving the link between aspartame and cancer please do share.

there's an italian 2007 study that showed a link between aspartame and cancer in rats - but the FDA has dismissed it.

unfortunately it's tough to know what to believe because while there have been FDA-approved studies showing aspartame is safe, most have been funded by the very industry that stands to benefit from that conclusion.

it's up in the air, but i avoid the stuff just because I don't like eating synthetic chemicals if I can avoid it. better safe than sorry. :)
  • ArtGeek22
    ArtGeek22 Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options

Who mentioned anything about cancer? However, there has been studies linking them. But aspartame is an artificial sweetener, which overall are not good for you. But it is mostly the interaction between the caffeine and the aspartame, which acts as a type of excitotoxin.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    If you like it, drink it. If it gives you problems for whatever reason, stop drinking it. Don't let fear mongering urban legends scare you out of something you enjoy.

Too many people try to deprive themselves of everything that might possibly be "bad" (even when there's no scientific evidence for it) and end up giving up and being much worse off than they would have been if they'd just adjusted their diet enough to achieve their initial goals.

If you keep drinking diet soda now and decide later you don't want to anymore, you can quit it then too.
  • hedwardsb
    hedwardsb Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I rarely drink it because I associate it with unlimited peanut butter cups and all you can eat pizza with extra cheese. I always joke I can eat anything provided I wash it down with Diet Coke.
  • bdur76
    bdur76 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I drink diet beverages daily. It works for me!
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,022 Member
    Options
    I dont drink them very often but I am going to have one when I go out for a meal - way better for weight loss than a normal soft drink or any other drink and would feel silly and over zealous at a restaurant ordering a water with my meal.

Once or twice a week seems ok to me.
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options

This isn't conclusive and doesn't prove the link with cancer but it interested me because hubby was recently diagnosed with non-Hodgkins lymphoma and he was a heavy diet coke drinker.

http://www.naturalnews.com/037772_aspartame_leukemia_lymphoma.html
    and

This next one was done on rats but they claim it is pretty conclusive:
    http://ezinearticles.com/?Aspartame-and-the-Increased-Risks-of-Lymphoma-Cancer&id=398772

"Although the long-term study was conducted exclusively on female rats, without involving the active participation of any human subjects, the results are still very conclusive: aspartame is a clear carcinogenic agent that has a major contribution in the occurrence and evolution of lymphoma. A very popular chemical sweetener used as a replacement for sugar-based sweeteners, aspartame is no longer considered to be harmless."

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/398772
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I find that diet soda threads are more harmful than diet soda due to misinformatotoxins that tend to exacerbate orthorexic precursors.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options

Who mentioned anything about cancer? However, there has been studies linking them. But aspartame is an artificial sweetener, which overall are not good for you. But it is mostly the interaction between the caffeine and the aspartame, which acts as a type of excitotoxin.

link to study?
  • RachelSRoach1
    RachelSRoach1 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Because of all the controversy surrounding apartame (sp?) and the fact that that particular sugar hasn't been around very long so we are only now beginning to see the effects of drinking that sugar long term... for me? Definitely not.
  • Olivia1977
    Olivia1977 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Diet soda can take a toll on your bladder~ it does mine. I stopped drinking it. Diet soda causes some people to have more bladder contractions making one think that he/she has to use the bathroom constantly. I really thought I was suffering from bladder infections but no bacteria was found. I stopped the diet soda and I am fine now. I drink natural flavored seltzer water for the carbonation kick!!
  • amdahwd
    amdahwd Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I don't know of it is harmful or not to drink diet coke. What I do know is that I lost over 40 pounds while drinking as much as I wanted to. Then a few weeks ago, I read an article that linked diet coke to increased risks of depression. Decided I just wanted to atop. Within the first week, I lost 5 pounds, a significant amount of belly pudge, and I started wanting to drink more water, I quit feeling the need to snack as much, and my food has started to taste different.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I find that diet soda threads are more harmful than diet soda due to misinformatotoxins that tend to exacerbate orthorexic precursors.
    Well done, sir!:drinker:
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    image.png