Only gained 2 pounds on a 7 night cruise

Options
I am so happy. I didn't know how it would go, as I didn't track my intake or exercise for the entire trip. I tried to make good food choices without depriving myself of things I really wanted. I tried to eat only half of desserts. We took the stairs whenever possible and tried to take walks throughout the day.

I enjoyed fitting into my new dresses and loved hubby's appreciation of my new look.

Now it is back to reality, back to tracking. I love myfitnesspal; it really works.

Replies

• WAHMto5
    WAHMto5 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Great job! We love to cruise and always have a hard time while cruising with both exercising and eating good! We have one in May and one in October booked for this year. The only bad thing is my day ticker starts over every cruise from not logging!
  • soniabogonia
    soniabogonia Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    Love cruising!!! Great job on not going crazy with over eating.

What cruise did you take??? What stops did you make??
  • Strivingforhealth12
    Options
    Love cruising!!! Great job on not going crazy with over eating.

What cruise did you take??? What stops did you make??

We had a wonderful trip. We were on Princess from Fort Lauderdale, Southern Caribbean to Aruba, Curacao and Princess Cays.
  • SeafoodSoop
    Options
    That's great, they usually end up throwing mountains of food/drink your way on those things. Willpower!!
  • boyd224
    boyd224 Posts: 14
    Options
    Great job!
  • mamabarton
    Options
    That is something to be proud of!!! Good job!!!
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Thats great and hard to do. I remember my cruise all the food that was available 24 hours a day and all the fruity drinks like pina coladas and bahama mamas. Really hard to stay away especially when there is no scale to keep you accountable.
  • Strivingforhealth12
    Options
    Thats great and hard to do. I remember my cruise all the food that was available 24 hours a day and all the fruity drinks like pina coladas and bahama mamas. Really hard to stay away especially when there is no scale to keep you accountable.

Yeah, it is really hard to stay away from the delicious drinks that are not a temptation in my daily life. I tried to stay with wine or rum with low cal mixers.
  • allenhandley
    allenhandley Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    That is the best thing I have heard all day. If I were to go on a cruise, I would be eating every 5 min and worthless. That is truly an amazing feat.

Now get back to work and get rid of those 2 lbs! :happy:
  • ritalef
    ritalef Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Great job! It is tough! I just came back from a 7 night cruise as well (a week ago) and was pleased to have only put on 5 pounds that is steadily disappearing. We were on deck one and walked the 8 flights all but 3 times. Took the elevator twice with luggage and once because we were on a time crunch. Calves were sure feeling it! I found it was best to eat in the dining room where you had portion control rather than the buffet that was a free for all.
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I've read a lot on cruisecritic about the big ships and the piles of food; DH and I chose a much smaller ship last year for Alaska- only 78 passengers, up close and personal with nature, with lots of hiking, kayaking and other expeditions. I even tried snorkeling in 42-degree water. Food was delicious and healthy, very little from cans. It was a lot easier to maintain healthy habits on that one and we're going again next year.

There does seem to be plenty of opportunity on the big ships for staying active, but with 24/7 food it takes some determination to eat healthy.
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    Bet you will lose it quick..probably sodium from all the food on the ship...
  • KeepGoingRhonda
    KeepGoingRhonda Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    WTG! That is a huge accomplishment!!
  • needles85365
    needles85365 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    way to stay focused.
  • twinteensmom
    twinteensmom Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Any advice you can give me would be very much appreciated. I am 15 LBS to goal and I am going on a 2 week cruise in November. I plan on being at goal by April(May 1 is the absolute limit) so I will have 6 months of being at my goal weight under my belt by the time I step on that ship. I am very worried, though. Maintaining while being away from my comfort zone is probably going to be difficult.
  • Strivingforhealth12
    Options
    Any advice you can give me would be very much appreciated. I am 15 LBS to goal and I am going on a 2 week cruise in November. I plan on being at goal by April(May 1 is the absolute limit) so I will have 6 months of being at my goal weight under my belt by the time I step on that ship. I am very worried, though. Maintaining while being away from my comfort zone is probably going to be difficult.

I just tried to eat as healthy as I could. I chose as many vegetables and salads as possible, limited sauces and dressing. I enjoy seafood, so often was able to make lower cal choices. As I said, I tried to eat only half of my dessert. So basically, I was trying to make the same good choices that I try to make in my regular non-vacation life. I will say that Princess has the best pizza on the seas, however, and that was a real temptation.

You can find menus on line. So if you chose to eat meals in the dining room, you can peruse the menus ahead of time to help with choices.

There are lots of opportunities to get exercise on board as well.
  • JessicaG234
    JessicaG234 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Great job! This quite encouraging! Thanks all for the advice too.

My hubby and I will be leaving for a cruise at the end of this week and I'm mentally preparing myself to stay on track exercising, sticking to portion sizes, and indulging modestly. I don't want to undo any progress I've made. Thanks for sharing your example. It's good to know that sticking to good habits (even in the most tempting situations) can be done! :wink:
  • EricaRuns27
    EricaRuns27 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    That is awesome! Great job!
  • Strivingforhealth12
    Options
    Great job! This quite encouraging! Thanks all for the advice too.

My hubby and I will be leaving for a cruise at the end of this week and I'm mentally preparing myself to stay on track exercising, sticking to portion sizes, and indulging modestly. I don't want to undo any progress I've made. Thanks for sharing your example. It's good to know that sticking to good habits (even in the most tempting situations) can be done! :wink:

Have a great cruise! Have a good time, enjoy the food and drinks, and get back to normal when you get home.
  • runwmeNC
    runwmeNC Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Only 2 lbs gained on a cruise ?!? That is one of the best success stories I've heard yet LOL
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!