Foods to assist in nicotine withdrawal?

Options
2»

Replies

• MountainMoverJosh
    Options
    If you nitpick at the food you want to eat, it will bring up stress, and you will start again.

Destress the body. Do not "worry" about weight issues or other nutrition concerns. Sugar and gaining weight are dwarfed mightily when talking about quitting smoking. But you have to really want to quit smoking, not to just want to quit when it will not make you gain weight.

Oh, and I quit cold turkey. Spent three months feeling guilty about every time I puffed up, and then one morning, just didn't need em. Now, I can be around smoking, but will not want them at all. I don't think my lungs could take such toxins anymore anyways. They have adjusted to being able to run for 3-5 miles without stopping!
  • upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Also... I think it helps to really ****ing loathe cigarettes. So you don't then think, 'oh, look at those guys in a group by the wall, having a nice smoke,' but instead, 'how sad that those people are slaves to the holes they've created in themselves'.

The last time I actually thought about smoking as a pleasant thing, or with any longing, affection, regret, whatever was about a year before I quit. I smoked reluctantly after that, hating every part of every second. So I had a long and sincere 'contemplation' phase, I guess.

Allan Carr's book really helped me change my thinking around smoking.
    http://allencarr.com/

You can also do little meditations/visualizations on how disgusting a habit it is. And on things that matter to you. For me it was vanity and the fact I couldn't really breathe so well anymore, so: greying, crinkling skin vs smooth, plump skin. Stinky, crackhead looking hair with busted ends vs smooth, shiny cuticles. Lungs, black and decaying or pink and healthy. Etc.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I had a college teacher say that tums helped with that. she chose one class volunteer who was a smoker and told him when he craved a cigarette to raise his hand and she handed him a tums. seemed to work? many years ago. something about the acid and ph levels and that's why drinking alcohol makes people crave cigs. but tums kills the urge. maybe same with coffee?

do not quit coffee cold turkey. taper down. especially if you are getting headaches. tea only has a percentage of the caffeine as coffee so hopefully it will be enough for you not to have withdrawals.
  • upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Point of above is: when you've profoundly, profoundly changed your schema around the meaning of cigarettes, it's then much easier to interpret physical cravings as new kinds of physical cues, and channel them in different directions. Like using that physical energy to go for a little jog or do some jumping jacks.

One metaphor that works for me is 'riding the wave', or 'urge surfing'. Involves meditation.
    http://urgesurf.com/what-is-urge-surfing/

You surf the urge by being aware of it, and separating your experience from it, and knowing it will only last 3-5 minutes, and just sort of coexisting with it for a while. Kind of awesome.