Being healthy while traveling-- advice or tips?

Options
I will be taking off for a month shortly to backpack Europe with my best friend. We will be staying in hostels and living off a limited budget. We are going to be walking everywhere, so that will help, but does anyone have any tips on eating / being healthy while traveling?

Replies

• VaingloriousVictoria
    Options
    I try to eat a lot of protein and drink lots of water! Have you thought about packing protein bars, shakes, jerky, etc? Backpacking around Europe sounds amazing! Good luck!
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Fruit and veggies. Bring a lot of nuts with you, as they will stay well. Also, deli sections in grocery stores are great for the budget, especially in Ireland, where everything costs so dang much! Also, in Ireland, if that is one of the places you are going, you can do the bed and breakfast houses which are very cheap. There will be healthy and unhealthy food there, and it comes with the low price!!
  • travelbug002
    travelbug002 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I like to bring trail mix to nibble on which is much healthier than regular snacks. Depending on where you stay, if you have access to a kitchen, make your own meals if possible. I know I love trying new restaurants but I like to go to grocery stores and make a meal. Even if you have no kitchen available, you can make a meal with all raw/cold foods. This will be great for the pocket book as well given how expensive food can be over in Europe.

Make sure you drink your water. I forgot to do this one year in Italy and ended up with a mild case of heat stroke. Hydration is critical to staying healthy.

Travelbug002