Can You Starve Yourself To Lose FAT?

Options
I'm sure we've all thought about it. I mean, it seems to be the easiest way out. But, in the end we all are told about "Starvation Mode!" the boogeyman of the fitness and diet world. But the truth is, he is just a myth. Now, don't get me wrong. You may not lose WEIGHT while starving yourself (and by starving I'm talking little to no food) but you will burn fat reserves. Now, the question is why aren't you losing weight?
Well it's simple. You're holding onto waste and becoming bloated. Typically, our body holds onto nutrients and water and waste whenever calories dip too low. Why? I have no bloody idea. However, we are still burning up fat reserves. Now, don't get me wrong. We WILL lose muscle in the form of proteins being burned for either glucose (If fat intake isn't high enough) or for the brain along with Ketone bodies (When fat intake is high enough)
However, we are talking like 1/16th of an ounce of muscle per day. And that's if we are getting no protein, fat, or glucose. Now, the reason I write this is to debunk the whole "Starvation Mode" and don't starve yourself myth. Personally, I will be going on a near starvation mode diet, taking in 6800 calories a week and burning just about 18000 calories a week.
Just for proof of this Starvation Mode nonsense and, if you truly have the willpower, not to be scared of starving yourself. Now, where does ACTUAL Net body fat net gain come into play? Well, it's simple. If you don't have the willpower to starve yourself and correctly count your calories, you are going to binge. And binge hard, you shall.

Replies

• ookblah
    Options
    just want to add if you're going to do this you better be trying to incorporate weight lifting on the way down to preserve what muscle you will have. the issue to me isn't about strength of willpower, it's about the end result being terrible. yeah, you can starve yourself like that and lose weight faster, but you'll end up losing a large amount of muscle due to atrophy/malnutrition and be completely untoned/skinny fat. this is why you do a deficit that's manageable, so you'll have enough energy to finish your workouts, feel great, and still lose the weight/fat. gluck
  • BLMarlborough2
    Options
    Trust me mate, I do. I eat most of my food around my weight lifting sessions to give me the extra energy. That is a good point, however. Weight lifting should always be incorporated into any diet, no matter how orthodoxed or unorthodoxed.
  • letjog
    letjog Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    LOL.

WHat do you want, a medal? Go away with this topic.
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    You'll be fine at 1k calories a day but only if you are overweight.
  • Tommy
    Tommy Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Dear Posters,

I wanted to offer a brief explanation for the locking of this thread.

The forum guidelines include this item:

3. No Promotion of Unsafe Weight-Loss Techniques or Eating Disorders

a) Posts intended to promote potentially unsafe or controversial weight loss products or procedures, including non-medically prescribed supplements or MLM products will be removed without warning.

b) Profiles, groups, messages, posts, or wall comments that encourage anorexia, bulimia, or very low calorie diets of any kind will be removed, and may be grounds for account deletion. This includes positive references to ana/mia, purging, or self-starving. Our goal is to provide users with the tools to achieve their weight management goals at a steady, sustainable rate. Use of the site to promote or glamorize dangerously low levels of eating is not permitted.

c) Photos intended to glamorize extreme thinness will be deleted.

d) Those seeking support in their recovery from eating disorders are welcome at MyFitnessPal.

MyFitnessPal strongly recommends that anyone suffering from the symptoms of Anorexia Nervosa, Bulimia, or Compulsive eating make use of the resources offered by the National Association of Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders. You may reach the ANAD hotline by phone in the US: 847-831-3438 (Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm, Central Time) or on the web at http://www.anad.org/site/anadweb/

If you would like to review the forum guidelines, please visit the following link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

At our discretion, this locked thread may be deleted entirely in the near future.

With respect,
    Tom
    MyFitnessPal Staff
This discussion has been closed.