Low carb diets

Options
13»

Replies

• momzeeee
    momzeeee Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I just finished reading this book called "Why We Get Fat and What to do About It." In the book, the author states that carbs make us fat. However, I've heard mixed reviews about low-carb diets. I was conisdering throwing out most carbs but there is no hard evidence that supports some of the authors claims. However, low carb diets are very limited on food selection.

I have ate whole grain breads and cereals while trying to change my eating habits (and have lost weight.) typically stay within the allowed amount of carbs on MFP.

Opinions on low carb diets?

I really respect Gary Taubes and do think think his advice is spot on. However, there's also the factor of sustainability that you need to consider. Is low carb something you think you can do long term? For most people, the answer is no.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    No. Carbs don't make us fat. Do you think that all the lean people who eat plenty of carbs have special super powers?

No, they just don't have metabolic disorders.
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    hmm,.,, carbs are your fuel,,, i am a high cardio girl,,,,,, i like to do 2 to 3 hours cardio a day,,, i need that fuel!

Not if you're keto-adapted. I lift 3 days per week and do 1-2 hours of cardio (HIIT elliptical, cycling, walk/run and Zumba) and have no problems with energy.

I am diabetic, so 20-50g of carbs is all I can take in and still have normal blood glucose readings.
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    Question for everyone here: What do you consider 'low carb' ? I see a few of you mentioning under 20g a day, which seems fairly incredible from my perspective (I'm trying, and mostly failing, to hit around the 70-80g/day mark) 90g seems to be my sustainable average, having cut out bread/grains/potatoes etc temporarily to see if I can break a long plateau, and this seems low to me - what is the general definition of 'low carb'?

A low carb diet is generally defined as one that is less than 100g a day. If you see 20g a day people are generally going to be following a ketogenic diet (which I do), which limits carbs and forces your body into a state which uses fat as the primary fuel. Keto can be a bit rough for a week or so until your body gets adapted, but after that you will find you have more energy, aren't as hungry and can do more vigorous exercise without hitting "the wall" than before.

Ah, I see - thank you for clarifying!
  • ukgirly01
    ukgirly01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I eat paleo- which isn't exactly low carb, more choosing to eat nutritious carbs ie instead of having grains I'll eat veggies, I can honestly sayit's changed my life. It gets a bit of grief on the main forums but I'd highly recommend. www.marksdailyapple.com is a good place to start if you're interested.
  • momzeeee
    momzeeee Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I eat paleo- which isn't exactly low carb, more choosing to eat nutritious carbs ie instead of having grains I'll eat veggies, I can honestly sayit's changed my life. It gets a bit of grief on the main forums but I'd highly recommend. www.marksdailyapple.com is a good place to start if you're interested.

Second this-MDA is a great website and Mark Sisson's book, The Primal Blueprint, is also great :)