Ruby Red Grapefruit

Sparksfly
Sparksfly Posts: 470 Member
edited September 20 in Food and Nutrition
LOVEEEEEEEEEEEEE these!

I have been eating a whole one everyday and they only have 110 calories and 12 grams of FIBER!

They are so wonderful! Thanks for letting me share!

Replies

• rkascak
    rkascak Posts: 224 Member
    12 grams of fiber!
    i need to start eating those
    I LOVE grapefruit
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    I have been on a kick with the grapefruit too. :love:
  • Great tip! I had no idea they had so much fiber! Sounds like I have a new breakfast food!
  • kizzymitchell
    kizzymitchell Posts: 17 Member
    I forgot about grapefruit, I also didn't know they had so much fiber. I was just putting a grocery list together and I will now add grapefruit.
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    I also love grapefruit but haven't bought it for ages, and also hadn't realized it had so much fiber! ....I think it'll be on my shopping list this week too!

Thanks for the reminder :smile:
  • My 2 year old daughter loves these too! When she sees me having grapefruit for breakfast, she comes and sits on my lap and she literally eats half of it! I don't mind sharing though. :)
  • jquintinjr
    jquintinjr Posts: 191
    when i try to eat it with a spoon i fail at it
  • dclarsh1
    dclarsh1 Posts: 83
    Not to burst anyone's grapefruit, but I think the 12 grams of fiber may be a misprint... I think it's more like two. Unless you eat the whole rind.
  • Wolfena
    Not to burst anyone's grapefruit, but I think the 12 grams of fiber may be a misprint... I think it's more like two. Unless you eat the whole rind.

LOL- I kinda was thinking that... but didn't feel like researching it.

It's still gonna be on my grocery list this week, as I haven't had one in awhile and now I'm craving one!
  • Sparksfly
    Sparksfly Posts: 470 Member
    Oh no! I guess I should have looked it up online. On MFP it says 6 grams for half and 12 grams for the entire thing.

Might be wrong, butttt they are delicious anyway!
  • Wolfena
    Copied from the MFP database.... NON-user entered (this one's the original)

Grapefruit, pink, red, all varieties
    1 Fruit
    Calories 103
    Sodium 0 mg
    Total Fat 0 g
    Potassium 332 mg
    Saturated 0 g
    Total Carbs 26 g
    Polyunsaturated 0 g
    Dietary Fiber 4 g
    Monounsaturated 0 g
    Sugars 17 g
    Trans 0 g
    Protein 2 g
    Cholesterol 0 mg
    Vitamin A 57%
    Calcium 5%
    Vitamin C 128%
    Iron 1
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Taken from vegparadise.com
    Nutrition
    GRAPEFRUIT SECTIONS, ONE CUP (240 ml): Fresh grapefruit sections from California or Arizona, whether pink, red, or white, have about 85 calories, 1 gram of protein, and about 3 grams of fiber. Grapefruit sections from Florida have 69 to 74 calories.

The carbohydrate content varies between 17 and 22 grams, while the fat content is negligible.

Red and pink grapefruit shines with its approximately 596 I.U. of vitamin A. The white grapefruit is much lower in vitamin A with about 23 I.U.

Grapefruit has a full range of B vitamins with the exception of vitamin B12 and contain about 28 mcg of folic acid.

Grapefruit sections are a good source of vitamin C ranging from 79 to 88 mg.

Grapefruit offers plenty of calcium, potassium, and magnesium as well as trace amounts of iron and zinc.

The grapefruit membranes are a good source of pectin, a soluble fiber helpful in reducing cholesterol.

GRAPEFRUIT JUICE ONE CUP (240 ml): Canned grapefruit juice has about 100 calories and 1 to 2 grams of protein. Most canned grapefruit juice is sold with the pulp removed, resulting in a loss of fiber. The carbohydrate content of the juice is similar to the grapefruit sections with 17 to 22 grams.

Pink grapefruit juice supplies 1087 I.U. of vitamin A, while the white provides a minimal 25 I.U.

With the exception of vitamin B12, the juice swells with B vitamins with 10 mg of thiamine, .05 mg of riboflavin, and .49 to .57 mg of niacin. Folic acid content is about 25.7 mcg, while vitamin C ranges from 72 to 93.9 mg.

Calcium content varies from 17.2 to 22.3 mg, and potassium offers 378 to 400 mg. Iron and zinc are present with zinc providing 12 to 22 mg and iron at .05 mg.
    Medicinal Uses
    Every part of the grapefruit is recognized for its many health benefits. Grapefruit seed extract, available in health food stores, is commonly used as an anti-fungal remedy.

An infusion prepared from grapefruit flower blossoms becomes a treatment for insomnia. The beverage is also valued as a cardiac tonic.

Grapefruit stimulates the digestive tract and aids in relieving indigestion and gas. The fruit also has diuretic properties helpful to people with water retention and liver and gall bladder conditions.

Rubbed on the skin, grapefruit is beneficial in treating acne and oily skin.

Grapefruit pulp, because of its acidic nature, is an effective treatment for urinary infections.

An extract drawn from the leaves of the grapefruit tree contains antibiotic properties.

Pectin contained in the grapefruit rind and the membranes clinging to the grapefruit sections is effective in lowering serum cholesterol.

Medical Warning: Some medications interact with grapefruit and grapefruit juice, causing the medication to become more intense. Check with your physician or pharmacist to make sure grapefruit will not affect your medications. To be on the safe side while taking medications, drink other fruit or citrus juices. Most will provide plenty of vitamins and minerals. While you are taking medications, read beverage labels carefully to be sure juice combinations do not contain grapefruit.
This discussion has been closed.