Unreliable scales

I'd imagine a lot of people have this problem, so I'm sure someone has an answer!

I can't keep my scales in the same place, but always try to use them in the same spot, however my weight can vary by a few lb each time I use them, literally if I step off them back on again.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to solve this, and if I just need new scales, has anyone got any recommendations? I'm in the UK btw, so obviously scales I can get over here.

Replies

• trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    mine are the same. the digital ones seem to be better..... i think it's my floor because my friend has the same scales and hers measure me exactly the same no matter how many times i step on - and lower than these ones!
  • UpandRunning2013
    UpandRunning2013 Posts: 69 Member
    I have the same problem and also have put it down to unlevel floor but seem to have found a spot that is kind of reliable. I don't have a solution but hope someone can shed some light on this. I have just given up weighing and am looking at NVS (noticeable visable signs) like if my clothes fit better etc instead because I find it disheartening to have such discrepancy on the scale. Thanks for posting though...it is good to know someone else is concerned about this.
  • deladypilot
    deladypilot Posts: 618 Member
    Scales are funny things. They are best used on a flat surface (not carpet) and it is better if you do not move them. Each time they are moved you take a chance on messing up the calibration. If you do not have a choice but to move it, then find a weight to check the scale before you get on. A 5lb hand weight will work fine.

That being said, our bodies flucuate daily anyway, so you may be down one day and up a bit the next. Its just the way the body works. Some days we are retaining fluid or we ate a heavier meal the night before and our body has not digested it etc. This is why most programs suggest you only weigh once a week.
  • fresh_start59
    fresh_start59 Posts: 590 Member
    I had the exact same problem with a digital scale that I bought at Target about 10 years ago. It would even change weight depending on whether I leaned forward or backward.

For Christmas, I bought myself a gift ... a new scale. It got it from Amazon, here in the U.S. It is an EatSmart brand scale and it has great reviews.
    http://www.amazon.com/Eatsmart-Precision-Bathroom-Technology-440-Pounds/dp/B0032TNPOE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1359365210&sr=8-3&keywords=eatsmart

I'm hoping it is accurate. I'll find out when I go to the doctor's office on Wednesday. I do know that it is consistent. I step of and on and off and on and it gives me the same weight every time. At least I'll know if my weight is going up or down.

A friend got a different Eatsmart model. Hers came with a BMI calculator, body fat percentage gizmo and more. She said the BMI thing didn't work right but that the weight was accurate according to her doctor's scale.
  • trudijoy
    while we're on fluctuations, i take it it's normal to register higher weight around your period?
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    while we're on fluctuations, i take it it's normal to register higher weight around your period?
    Absolutely
  • trudijoy
    Absolutely

good. didn't think i'd miraculously put back on weight overnight lol
  • deladypilot
    deladypilot Posts: 618 Member

Yes, you body retains fuild at that time and that adds weight. Some women have problems with this, others do not.
  • beskimoosh
    beskimoosh Posts: 375 Member
    Scales are funny things. They are best used on a flat surface (not carpet) and it is better if you do not move them. Each time they are moved you take a chance on messing up the calibration. If you do not have a choice but to move it, then find a weight to check the scale before you get on. A 5lb hand weight will work fine.

That is a fab idea! I will get something with a set weight and move the scales til I get it :)
  • BigG1978
    BigG1978 Posts: 54 Member
    I've encountered similair problems, however the Salter Electronic model I got around 18 montsh ago (from Argos I think) have been great and I can step on/step off without it changing. I also got a model that measured my body fat, water, muscle etc as I find that sometimes although I have not lost any lbs I have lost some body fat % which can be encouraging if the weight loss is not there - added bonus when it's both!!

Hope this helps, and please feel free to add as a friend if you so wish. :smile:
  • pamays
    pamays Posts: 20
    Same problem here also :wink:
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    I have the same problem, I have two scales as my other one broke but mysteriously started working again. If I get an odd number I use both and pick in between. It's always off by a few hundred grams so I don't sweat it. My newer scales seem more accurate though and I picked them up for $30, theyre digital.
  • Mine do this it's just the floor level. I keep mine in exactly the same spot measured by the line of my bathroom tiles going through the middle of the logo lol.
  • I had to junk my scale because I became obsessed with it. Every time I walked by it, I could hear it calling my name lol. I quit weighing at home & only weigh at my Dr. appts. Since then, their scales have me at a 44lbs weight loss since Jan 2012. Now I just use my clothes (how well they fit) to tell if I am up or down.