Strength vs Cardio?

Options
Hey,

I had a night on the town Saturday which led to my choices not being the best and carb heavy so I know I've knocked myself out of ketosis. I would like your opinions on what form of exercise you do to deplete the glycogen in your liver and muscles to reach it faster? It normally takes me 4-5 days to begin showing pink on the sticks and I do a mixture of Turbofire for cardio and Chalean Extreme for strength.

Should I incorporate more strength less cardio?
Which gives the bigger depletion?

Replies

• scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Intense exercise of any type will deplete glycogen if it is done long enough, usually 90 to 120 minutes.
  • SereneRose
    SereneRose Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I don't find that to be so. I can do over an hour of cardio and 40 minutes of strength and the next day I am still not in that zone it always takes me 4-5 days and the cardio I do is high intensity mixed with HIIT. I know some bodybuilders can do it in a day or 2 after a carb up I just want to reduce the time down. Whether it be strength to deplete the glycogen faster over the cardio and what type?
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    For simple glycogen depletion, most people will have better luck with cardio.
  • bdamaster60
    bdamaster60 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Weight training, particularly hypertrophy training depletes glycogen pretty quickly. HIIT depletes glycogen quickly as well. Do both if you want to drain your muscles of glycogen and drop dead.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options

Agreed. I'd go with interval sprints or something.
  • SereneRose
    SereneRose Posts: 499 Member
    Options

Agreed. I'd go with interval sprints or something.
    Thank you for your advice I will incorporate more treadmil HIITs into my schedule aswell as the aerobic and strength exercises.