Mmm Cardio

Options
So what does everyone do for cardio? I usually run on a treadmill at 12 resistance and 5.5 mph (so I don't kill myself) for about 25-30 minutes and lately I got into Zumba which is so much fun. But I'm kind of tired of doing the treadmill because I hear its so bad for your knees and it's starting to get repetitive. Also when I do the treadmill, my heart rate easily reaches 190+ and I also hear that's not really good. But I don't know what else to do if I want to burn the calories.

So what do you guys do? (Because I secretly want more ideas...)

Replies

• coppertop_4
    coppertop_4 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Mix up the treadmill.

HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) could be what you're looking for!

30-90 seconds of as fast as you can go, followed by 60-120 seconds of recovery at a moderate pace.

Example: Kick your treadmill up to a 7 for 30 seconds
    Go back to a 5 and recover for 90 seconds
    Repeat this a few times in your workout.
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Running outside > Treadmill running. You can change up where you go and enjoy nature. I love running outside.

Lately I've been confined to just walking, but I'm learning to enjoy it as slow as it is. I am also starting Tapout, which is an MMA style workout. It is brutal!
  • xxtaliaxx
    xxtaliaxx Posts: 123
    Options
    Is there any way to find out how many calories you burn doing that? I feel like the treadmill would be a little inaccurate when changing speeds every minute.
  • nessagrace22
    nessagrace22 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    My favourite exercise is the kettle bells as its a good all-rounder for cardio and strength. I get bored easily though so constantly try to mix up my routines to stay motivated. I do zumba, pump fx, circuits, cross trainer, spinning....basically anything goes with me :smile:
  • coppertop_4
    coppertop_4 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Is there any way to find out how many calories you burn doing that? I feel like the treadmill would be a little inaccurate when changing speeds every minute.

You can use the counter on here.
    3 min at 7mph
    5 min at 6mph
    20 min at 5 mph and let MFP calculate it for you
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

The machine's numbers are usually incorrect anyways. I always would record 2/3 of the calories because I knew they were always high. I now use the TDEE method of calculating calories needed, so I don't have to record exercise calories.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I'm a big believer in mixing it up - there's no mental, and very little physical, challenge in doing the same workout time after time.

I use elliptical, rower (Concept 2), cycle (Spinning or outdoors) but also mix that up with different levels or intensity, resistance and duration. Wonky knee is stopping me running.

Work out your goals and work out a training plan to get there. It seems you are focussed on calorie burns so a rower or elliptical will typically burn more calories than just leg work on a cycle or treadmill.

You should try and incorporate strength training too.
  • xxtaliaxx
    xxtaliaxx Posts: 123
    Options
    I'm afraid to do strength training. I've done it before and I already have broad shoulders, I don't want them to stand out anymore than they do. I'm not really looking to get any more muscle, I feel like I have enough of it =/