Knowing when to quit

Options
I did yoga today for the very first time in my life. Now let me just say that I am ve-ee-ee-ee-ry out of shape. The thing is, it went quite badly. And when I say quite badly, I mean I couldn't do 3/4 of the poses, and the ones I could do I probably didn't do right. The instructor came over to me twice and quietly asked me if something was wrong. She was nice about it, but I felt so out of place.

Now, the question is: should I quit? I've been reading up a little on yoga, and it sounds like my thing. Learn to support your own body weight, better posture, mind/body connection, build lean muscle mass, yada yada. That sounds like the perfect form of strength training for me. But it was so difficult, and I felt so embarrased in a room with 20 - 30 other people who could do every move nearly perfect. I do wanna try new things, find out what works for me, but I don't wanna bounce around endlessly from class to class, because I know I am so out of shape that EVERYTHING will be hard in the beginning.

So, what do you think?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I know I am so out of shape that EVERYTHING will be hard in the beginning.

So, what do you think?

i think you answered your own question.

if you quit, you wont ever get any better at it...
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    If you want to stick to that particular class, go early next time and introduce yourself to the instructor and tell her you're brand new to yoga. If she's good, she'll be able to offer alternate poses or easier versions of the one the class is doing. But there's nothing wrong with sampling other classes--one might be more beginner-friendly.

Best of luck!
  • baileysmom4
    baileysmom4 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Is there a beginning class you can take? I would feel the same way if I was in a room full of people doing perfect poses! I'm about as flexible as a stick! A beginning class would have others like you who are learning the poses. Just a thought.
  • kbeech06
    kbeech06 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Was it a beginners class? If not, then maybe find one? If it was, then don't worry...it will get easier. I can't imagine trying yoga...I have no balance at all, I would definitely be falling over :laugh: All new activities are hard, and you feel like an idiot, but we've all been there before!
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Persistence is key in anything. Yoga is probably more difficult because the moves can be complex and you need to develop some flexibility but hey, that's why you're there! If you were saying that all your muscles and joints were screaming, that might mean you overdid it, but it doesn't sound that way.

It might help if you have a brief conversation with the instructor and tell her you're a newbie and it's going to take some time for you to get the moves but you're willing to work at it. (I have terrible gross motor co-ordination and cannot process instructions like "do this with your right hand and that with your left, and balance on your left foot, now shift your weight to your right..." so I can sympathize.)

Just take the attitude of "I don't get this now but I'll work at it till I get it" and it will rub off on your classmates.
  • NewFrenchFemme
    NewFrenchFemme Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    What type of yoga was it? It sounds as though the class was at too advanced a level for you - maybe try to find a beginners' class? Failing that, there are some good introductory level videos on the internet that you could try to get you into it. I have just re-started yoga, and am having a series of one-to-one sessions, which I find very helpful, if challenging! Please don't give up on yoga, as there are so many different disciplines that I am sure you will find something that you can do now and progress with.
  • volleygirl1980
    volleygirl1980 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    If you want to stick to that particular class, go early next time and introduce yourself to the instructor and tell her you're brand new to yoga. If she's good, she'll be able to offer alternate poses or easier versions of the one the class is doing. But there's nothing wrong with sampling other classes--one might be more beginner-friendly.

Best of luck!

^^ This. The first time I took yoga I was terrible. I never developed a taste for it, but I definitely got better..same thing now for me with TRX classes. The nice thing about struggling in the beginning is that you've got lots of room to grow!

I'd also recommend trying different yoga classes as there are so many types and the teacher makes a big difference..

I read somewhere (I think Gabrielle Reece said it) that you should try something new seven times before you give up..

Good luck!
  • Keto_T
    Keto_T Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    One of my mom's quotes: "Can't couldn't and quit"
  • sandobr1
    sandobr1 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    No you should not quit, keep going and go more then once a week if you can. If you are worried try the library get some videos and practice at home, I have an app that is simply yoga that has a 20 minute workout look around for ways to do yoga more often.

Watch this video, and I think you might change your mind. Hope it works, if not You Tube it is called, Never, Ever Give Up. Arthur's Inspirational Transformation. Someone had linked it here a while ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX9FSZJu448

You are young quitting because of a little embarrasment is really silly in the grand scheme of a lifetime of enjoying yoga.
  • imhungry2012
    imhungry2012 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Don't quit! I guarentee 2 months from now you will have a NSV about how you were able to complete all of the posses and you'll be so glad you stuck with it :) Try other classes as well, I do not do yoga but have to imagine that mixing it up would be good and make you stronger so the posses become easier overtime.

You could also buy a yogo DVD and do it at home, too.

You can do it!
  • sd75
    sd75 Posts: 49
    Options
    Yoga is excellent - but it does take time. I agree with the above - a good teacher will advise on how to make the most of the poses.
    One thing i was always told with yoga is that its all about your own personal acheivement and not about what others in the class are doing - so keep going - and you will get better. Don't focus on how 'nimble' others in the class are, and instead focus on your breathing and lengthening etc - and in a few months you'll be glad you didn't quit. I do think its important to connect with the class teacher tho too - makes such a difference to any kind of exercise class i think.
    Also as an aside - you could perhaps try Body Balance as an alternative - its basically the same moves but in a slightly less regimented fashion, but equally probably means its not quite as good for you.
  • AnabolicKyle
    AnabolicKyle Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    ive done yoga a couple times, never been flexible 6ft 4 i stand out from everyone & probably looked like a dingus.

but...

there is some great one hour long youtube videos for yoga and they helped me out a lot i will probably being going back to class in the near future.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcC8hZPwj6w

edit

resting position!!!!! WTF

Downward Dog

Downward Dog

Downward Dog

I hate this position with a passion!!!
  • Alexfit12
    Options
    Don't quit. It will only take a few workouts until you are able to the moves correctly, and the benefits are countless. I suggest you download the P90X Yoga video, and start working with it at your own pace. It will explain all the poses and you can get a little practice before doing it in a studio again, which may be a little embarrassing if you are a beginner.
  • KellyL23
    KellyL23 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    There is a video online about a disabled veteran who couldnt walk without assistance, started doing yoga every day, and made AMAZING transformation and now he runs marathons. I cried like a baby when I watched it. The key message was that he stuck with it and didnt give up. Persistance is key.
  • Frankii_x
    Frankii_x Posts: 238
    Options
    I've personally never done Yoga - but I did start running. I started by running a mile...I stopped 3 times in the first half a mile and then walked the rest. In September 2012 I did my first half marathon. In May of this year I'm doing my second. Trust your abillity.

I don't know if you're a fan of "Friends" or not but there's one part where Monica is taking part in a dance class and the instructor shouts "Hey, you at the back! You're doing it all wrong" and Monica replies with "But at least I'm doing it"

I always keep that in mind. It's better to be doing it and not being that great than to sit on the sofa wondering what it would have been like if you hadn't given up.

xx
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    "Never give up! Never surrender!" ~Buzz Lightyear
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are in a beginner's class. The instructor will expect you and everyone else to have some trouble and you won't feel out of place.
  • Sweet_Pandora
    Sweet_Pandora Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Everyone was a beginner at one time.

Karen
  • Mistyblu08
    Mistyblu08 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    dont quit- just remember when you are in class watching those other people ....at one time they were you ....they got better with practice! Stick with it :)
    I am thinking about doing yoga as well and that is one thing that has stopped me too is that I am about as inflexible as a 2x4 lol but I know I wont get better til I do it regularly....I am going to try doing it at home with dvd until I can at least touch my toes :)
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    Get a yoga DVD and do it at home. You will improve and then you won't feel so out of place at a class.