Thinking about CHIA SEEDS.. what do you think?

Options
rai8759
rai8759 Posts: 296 Member
My husband recently stated that he would like to start counting calories and exercising to lose weight. THEN he said he would really like to take some kind of weight loss supplement to help him also =/

I am not a fan of taking weight loss supplements. It kind of freaks me out especially since they are not regulated, so I suggested CHIA SEEDS. I had heard that it can help make you feel fuller if you sprinkle them on your meal.

So lay it on me.... Resources about Chia Seeds... Have you found them helpful? How to eat them? Where to buy them?

Do you think its all bunk? Any weight loss supplements that have worked for you and not killed you? lol We are in the research phase.

Replies

• jonesin_am
    jonesin_am Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I haven't incorporated them yet but have been reading a lot about them. I don't know that I would call them a supplement. Sounds like they are very good to incorporate into a healthy eating plan. They have numerous health benefits...one article compared them to flax seed but said they were more easily digested. Would love to hear what others say. You can buy them online at Nuts.com. They also have some other interesting things I would like to try!
  • altinker
    altinker Posts: 173
    Options
    I haven't used them like that, but I think they are a great source of Omega 3 fatty acids. I have used them in Taramuhara Burritos as well. I think of them more as a Super food.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I've been putting them in my oatmeal for years. A good amount of fiber and omega-3's for very little calories.

If you soak them for a few minutes in liquid they get this gel coating around them, and I guess they could make you feel fuller, but I only use 1 Tb so that isn't enough for me to tell any difference in how full I feel.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    I've been eating them for about a week now, stirring a tablespoon into my breakfast oatmeal (with extra water or it gets way too thick for my taste), or making a gel "pudding" out of chia seeds, honey, milk, and vanilla extract. They do seem to make me feel full longer, and I figure the added nutrients can't hurt.
  • mschickiepoo
    mschickiepoo Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I use them every day. They are very good for you, and seem to help me feel fuller longer. Perhaps, it's all in my head... but whatever works right?! They are pretty much tasteless, so if you soak them in in liquid they get softer and won't have the crunch to them. I love using them. Google the benefits of chia........ you'll be surprised :)
  • rai8759
    rai8759 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody! Very helpful. They seem to be more of a healthy food that CAN make you feel fuller because of the fiber. I'll keep looking into it.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Water them and make a groovy plant-pet.
  • SnivyToast
    SnivyToast Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    They are great in oatmeal. Specifically refrigerator/overnight oatmeal.
  • RambyPandy
    RambyPandy Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I can't seem to find them @ stores by me, so I got some flax seeds instead. They are a nice addition to food.
  • kellyallday
    kellyallday Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    This is the best source of info, I recently read:

http://www.gainsthroughloss.com/2013/01/chia-seeds.html
  • aBoldengirl
    Options
    They are said to be an excellent way to detox the body.
  • staceyGO
    staceyGO Posts: 376
    Options
    I put them in my shakes... but I never really learned why haha I tend to be kind of a follower and so many healthy blogs praise them that I jumped on the wagon.
  • JacquiKerzman
    Options
    Chia seeds are good, I eat them every morning along with flax seed in my oatmeal, they are great for taking toxins out of the body as well!
  • underwater77
    underwater77 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Water them and make a groovy plant-pet.

lolz

i put them in my protein pancakes and on my oatmeal, but that is about it. they have fiber and omega 3s - never used them for weight loss but i would imagine they can make you feel fuller? i have never noticed though.
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I buy them on Amazon & make a gel that I put in my shakes. Helps keep me regular...
  • runrunjohnny
    runrunjohnny Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    You can add them to just about anything: yogurt and smoothies are my favorite. I've also made a no-bake chocolate pudding from them. I find taking a small handful useful before my runs. They help retain water and because they soak up liquid, they can help with the sloshing feeling of water in your stomach.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    I use small amounts in my overnight oats....tastes good, and helps the texture. Chias are good for you, but not essential.
  • runrunjohnny
    runrunjohnny Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    And if you don't want to buy online, you can find them fairly cheap at Trader Joe's and Costco.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Reasonably low carb diet is the best aid. Spend the supplement money on extra meat! X
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    I can find them in most grocery stores. Usually in the health food section.
    Also at Walgreens in the supplement isle or GNC.