100% no sugar added.... HELP!

Options
can any body tell me if 100% no sugar added juice good for dieting? i have found 1, 8oz glass has a whole lot of sugar.

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    There is a difference between added sugars and natural sugars. Fruit by nature has natural sugar, which is why it tastes sweet. Added sugar would be the manufacturer dumping in additional sweetener. Is fruit juice good for dieting? No, not really. Health-wise, it is better to eat the fruit instead of drinking it, that way you get the fiber along with it that helps you feel full. You surely can drink juice as long as you have enough calories in your day for it, but for me I would rather eat 2 clementine oranges (70 calories) than drink one glass of orange juice (110 calories). Personally, I find drinking calories to be a waste. I'd rather eat them!
  • Bumbeen
    Bumbeen Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Store bought juice is generally not much better for you than a can of coca cola. Just eating the fruit and drinking water is what I would suggest.
  • tweishap
    tweishap Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Store bought juice is generally not much better for you than a can of coca cola. Just eating the fruit and drinking water is what I would suggest.

Agree totally. I have never found a very good juice source that isn't loaded with sugars. Maybe someone has on here?
  • tripodsmom
    tripodsmom Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    There is a difference between added sugars and natural sugars. Fruit by nature has natural sugar, which is why it tastes sweet. Added sugar would be the manufacturer dumping in additional sweetener. Is fruit juice good for dieting? No, not really. Health-wise, it is better to eat the fruit instead of drinking it, that way you get the fiber along with it that helps you feel full. You surely can drink juice as long as you have enough calories in your day for it, but for me I would rather eat 2 clementine oranges (70 calories) than drink one glass of orange juice (110 calories). Personally, I find drinking calories to be a waste. I'd rather eat them!
    Thank you, that is very helpful.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    A sugar is a sugar. Your, body knows no difference between one type and another. Fruit juice is for me not worth the sugar count! Might as well have a piece of cake! Lol. X
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I love love fruit juice! And only get the 100%, no added sugars....
    Even being all natural,with no added sugar, it is still really high in calories and sugars..... So I buy sparkling water (club sodas and the like) and add about 1/4 a serving juice to the bubbly water.
    So I get my fruit juice fix without ruining my food log.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Please explain how your body treats natural sugar differently than it treats added sugars.
  • tripodsmom
    tripodsmom Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Even being all natural,with no added sugar, it is still really high in calories and sugars..... So I buy sparkling water (club sodas and the like) and add about 1/4 a serving juice to the bubbly water.
    love the idea
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    love the idea
    I use one of those water flavor things like mio and add it to Perrier. My favorite is adding pink lemonade flavor for a zero calorie sparkling pink lemonade.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Please explain how your body treats natural sugar differently than it treats added sugars.

Sorry, I will not be baited into that argument! :laugh: I was just trying to explain in simple terms to the original poster the difference between added and natural sugars. There are many existing argumentative threads on MFP if you want to discuss that hot topic.