Habits

Options
I'm reading this book about habits - those things that we do automatically, with little to no thinking. I'm learning ways of changing habits that I consider "bad." What are some of your "good" habits...."bad" habits?? If you have succeeded in changing your bad habits, how did YOU do it?

Replies

• allison0820
    allison0820 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I feel like I have created a new habit of working out everyday now.. Problem is.. not sure how to say how I did it!! I just did.. and now if I miss a day I feel quiet guilty...
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    good habits -

getting dressed in my workout clothing on days I am not working out, just to trick my brain into thinking I work out every day, so it wont put up too much of a fuss as though it's always a new thing Im teaching myself to do. Its expected, get with the program.

bad habits -

walking to the gym counts as my warm up right?
  • BlueInkDot
    BlueInkDot Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    What's the book? That sounds like an interesting read. :)
  • Iron_Duchess
    Iron_Duchess Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I read "The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business" by Charles Duhigg during the summer and it was really good. It helped me understand that my actions were a result of my habits and not a complete lack of "self control". One of the things that I did first was make a list of what was holding me back and that I wanted to change. I have change many of my habits like eating high calorie snacks after dinner without thinking, eating just because something was just good and not because I was hungry, and not wanting to go out of my comfort zone. I'm a work in progress, but I know that what I have achieved until now is because I have change my mind. habits are a hard to change, but once you do the difference is noticeable. Good Luck
  • sbjmorgan
    sbjmorgan Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to change my habits in a set pattern. My daughter naps every day at a certain time so I KNOW I have that time to do whatever it is I want to do to work out. After a week or so in this pattern, I feel a lot more motivated to do it because, well, "it's what I do" at naptime.

I also have been trying to have the same few options with breakfast by starting out with a base (toast/cereal/oatmeal/greek yogurt) + fruit. I don't overthink it, it's just sort of an automated routine at this point which makes it easy.
  • lowpro1983
    lowpro1983 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    The book is "The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business" by Charles Duhigg!!! It really is pretty interesting to understand your habits. I'm trying to apply what I've learned in the book so far so that I can successfully change some "bad" habits into "good" habits.

One of my hardest challenges is getting up early enough in the mornings so I can work out. Tomorrow will be my day 1. I'm going to get up and work out and I will do it every day until it becomes a HABIT...I don't even want to THINK about it...just want to do it!!!!
  • mistesh
    mistesh Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I too have read The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg and enjoyed it very much. That part about what triggers afternoon snacking is delightful. Was it prompted by a need for distraction, walking, the cookie or the company? Such self-awareness helps to break your snacking. I rarely snack anymore, and chances are my pancreas appreciates the rest.
  • fresh_start59
    fresh_start59 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Have added "The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business" to my Amazon wish list.
    It sounds like exactly what I'm looking for.

I was thinking of getting the 7 Habits of highly effective people. Anyone read both and can review the differences?
  • lowpro1983
    lowpro1983 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I've not read that one, but it sounds good too!!