Afterburn method

Options
Does anyone know any work outs to get the afterburn effect? Apparently it makes you burn more calories after you work out which gives you muscles quicker?

Replies

• SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure of the science, but the theory is this:

Doing some cardio before weights for at least ten mins increases the calorie burn after the workout. Might be total rubbish, but I do it in the interests of being properly warmed up.
  • skydiveD30571
    skydiveD30571 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Burning calories does not give you muscles. As for the "afterburn effect", it has been shown that certain types of cardio work like HIIT (hight intensity interval training) can spike caloric burn rates for several hours after the workout is finished.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    HIIT is the best way, but the additional burn is pretty negligible
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Yeah - sorry, I didn't mean I thought it would give me more muscles, I dont think that I have ever heard that claim made of it before today, just that it would increase calorie burn from the workout.

Either way, it makes sure you are good and warmed up before you start lifting.
  • skydiveD30571
    skydiveD30571 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Yeah - sorry, I didn't mean I thought it would give me more muscles, I dont think that I have ever heard that claim made of it before today, just that it would increase calorie burn from the workout.

Either way, it makes sure you are good and warmed up before you start lifting.

I agree I always do a 10 min jog or some other type of cardio beforehand! I think it helps keep my heart rate up during lifting, I sweat much more, and just am in the zone much more. Definitely benefits me.
  • cassiesanders95
    Options
    thanks im totes grateful for the info but how do you do high interval training? are there any dvds i can get?
  • Missylydia
    Missylydia Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    thanks im totes grateful for the info but how do you do high interval training? are there any dvds i can get?

All you need to do is go easy for a minute, go full on for a minute, repeat until you think you will collapse, then do a few rounds more!
    :drinker: