Looking for friends who have beat the dreaded plateau!

Options
I've just begun my 10th week of losing weight. I started at 162.4 lbs at 5'3". At few weeks ago I stalled for 3 weeks then went on to lose a couple pounds. I have once again only lost about 1 pound in the last 3 weeks.

I am trying to calorie cycle this week at 20% of my TDEE 3 days a week, 2 semi lower day and 2 semi higher days. At the end of the week they average out to 1471 calories per day, that's based off 3 days of exercise. I plan to exercise at least 5 days a week (my intention is to burn a min of 1500 calories per week). I'm hoping that's enough calories. I will try it for the week and see if it breaks the plateau. If not I will readjust next week.

I'm not thinking of quitting when the scale or inches isn't dropping, but I am getting discouraged. I've never in my life stuck to a weight plan this long and I really feel I can do this the rest of my life, I just hate these stalls.

Looking for friends who have beat the plateau, and can offer any tips and/or motivation!!!

Replies

• BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Increase protein, decrease carbs, vary your work outs (if you're a runner, start lifting and vice versa). This usually works for me. I just lost 4lbs after a plateau of around two months. All I did was up protein/reduce carbs and add in some running (I typically just lift).
  • envbj77
    envbj77 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I'm working on reducing processed foods. I've got portions under control, just have to work on lowering carbs. I have been for 30 day shred for the past week and I walk/jog on the treadmill (which I am also trying to increase - just so out of shape).
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    An easy way to reduce carbs is to eat lower calorie/sugar fruits. Instead of sugary fruits like grapes, pineapple, apples, bananas, etc. try to eat fruits like strawberries (or really any berries) and grapefruits. Even better, eat less fruits and more leafy green vegetables.
  • cedarghost
    cedarghost Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Reducing processed foods is good, but it is not going to "magically" make you start losing weight when you stall. When I begin to stall or plateau, I have learned that the best thing that works for me is to take a diet break. I will eat at maintenance for a week or so then go back to a deficit (usually around 20%).
    Increasing protein is good advice, in general (especially if you're not getting enough). But the main reasons for increasing protein is to preserve as much muscle as possible while your body is in a calorie deficit and proteins tend to take longer to digest (giving you a feeling of "fullness" longer).
    Again, this applies to me, but it may work for you.
    I generally take a diet break by eating at maintenance every 8 to 10 weeks as that's when I start to see my loss slow down. I typically gain a pound or so when I take a break but it drops rapidly when I start back at a deficit.
    If you don't know what your maintenance calories are (or pretty darned close) you're not doing this right anyway.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I think you are under eating. If you workout 3 days a week, TDEE - 20% equals around 1700 calories daily, which could be net 1450. If you workout five days a week, it will be 1900 calories daily. Generally when you do the TDEE method, exercise is a part of it and you don't eat exercise calories back.

Also, to break a plateau, it's best to set your account to maintain for 1- 2 weeks and no exercise as well as eat higher protein to allow your body to recovery.

Also, you don't need to calorie cycle, the evidence on it is anecdotal at best. Over a week's time frame, calories are the same and weight loss is not daily. If you like it, then go with it but pending calories are equal, it won't give a different result.
  • Jennical
    Jennical Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't believe in the plateau thing. I think people "plateau" when they get sloppy with their logging (eat more than they think or burn less than they think), or aren't working hard enough in their workouts.

Weight loss isn't linear, either, so there are going to be ebbs and flows. If you're talking about a month or so of no movement, I'd look at the effort you are putting into eating right and working out. Make sure you haven't gotten sloppy/lazy at all.
  • envbj77
    Options
    The whole TDEE is so confusing. I just re-did my TDEE with light exercise 3 days a week (burn 1500-2000 cal per week) is 1964 minus the 20% it's 1571. Is this what my daily intake should be an not 1471 which is still above my BMR?
  • progers88
    progers88 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    bump
  • envbj77
    Options
    I've been logging every bite I put into my mouth and I wear a heart rate monitor at each workout. Maybe I'm not consuming enough calories. I'm afraid eat more will equal gain more.
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    Make sure you eat most of your calories, within 50-150, atleast, and eat back your exercise calories! Don't under eat in attempt to lose more. Don't skip breakfast, and here is a helpful website for plateaus. It works! Trust me! http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-full-diet-break.html
  • Inkchick
    Options
    I've noticed a pattern in my weight loss over the last 8 months - lose a 2-4 pounds (usually over 2-3 weeks), don't lose anything for 2-4 weeks, lose, don't lose, lose, etc. I am losing inches all the while though and going down in sizes.

Honestly the best thing I did for myself was buy a BodyMediaFit armband to tell me what I'm burning every day. I do Zumba workouts 5X a week and have a very sedentary job. It helped me pinpoint my intake better than using the online calculators. I'm a person driven by numbers and it helps me do better.
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    I think I've finally broken my plateau... I started to do more of a variety workout instead of the same thing every week. I workout 5-6 days a week and I always try to mix it up. I do classes, I also incorporate the 30 day shred some days, I do some weights, a lot of plyo and weights. The more I confuse my body, the more it seems to be working.

I just started the whole protein shake thing today since I apparently don't eat enough... so I was told. My TDEE is 1,810 and I'm told that's even too low for my level of activity. I still eat carbs, however, I don't eat as many as I use to. I love having my fruit in the morning and at least 1 salad a day. It seems to help.

If you workout 3 times a week, try adding another day. It doesn't have to be an hour, just add one day of 30 day shred in there for sh*ts and giggles... it's 25 mins and you are working on your core, what's to lose?
  • envbj77
    Options
    I technically work out 5 days a week for at least 30 min. I only put in 3 days a week in the calculator because I don't know if what I'm doing (30 day shred) is considered a moderate exercise (I burn 200 per 30 minutes)

Also, if exercise is built into the TDEE, I would not eat back my exercise calories, right?
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    I always eat back my calories AND I'm told I don't eat enough :/ It's frustrating! I log my 30 day shred workouts, I burn on average 200 as well... I'm so happy when I am able to eat them back... I purposely exercise MORE to eat more some days... so yeah, I would still eat them, but stick in an avocado or some nuts (high in healthy fat and calories) if you're too full to have a big meal. I think that's my dinner tonight... avocado with some mushed up almonds.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Also, if exercise is built into the TDEE, I would not eat back my exercise calories, right?

correct
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    Make sure you eat most of your calories, within 50-150, atleast, and eat back your exercise calories! Don't under eat in attempt to lose more. Don't skip breakfast, and here is a helpful website for plateaus. It works! Trust me! http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-full-diet-break.html
    Please explain why you shouldn't skip breakfast.
  • The plateau is a myth it's called maintaining
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I've been logging every bite I put into my mouth and I wear a heart rate monitor at each workout. Maybe I'm not consuming enough calories. I'm afraid eat more will equal gain more.

if you follow the calorie recommendations I posted above you should be good. Also, if you want to alter macro's to around 40% carbs, 40% protein and 20% fats, that can help with recomposition (maintaining muscle, while cutting fat). And if your TDEE is above 2000 calories you can't gain fat until you exceed it. It takes 3500 calories above your TDEE to gain a lb of fat. You might initially gain water weight, but it will come off quickly.

Sorry, just saw your exercise program. Set your calories at 1700, you don't burn much with 30DS. And you don't need to eat exercise calories back as it's in your TDEE already.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    The plateau is a myth it's called maintaining
    Please explain the difference between a plateau or maintaining? In the end, it's the same thing and requires you to evaluate what you are doing and change things.