When you put too much value on the scale

Options
Been doin' all the right stuff; getting in my walking, strength training and eating healthy everyday.....but sometimes that scale just doesn't budge! How discouraging!!!! Makes you just want to say "Forget it already!" People can tell you that "it's o.k., just remember you're building muscle and losing inches" and you know that's true, but then there's that SCALE, right? Was having this conversation with a physical therapist the other day and he said "Look, just forget about the stinkin' scale for awhile, don't obsess over it and just keep doin' what you're doing (ie: walking, eating healthy & exercising) and the weight will come off". So....today, I stopped stressing out about the scale and pounds lost.....I know it'll happen (weight loss) and gonna start paying more attention to how I feel overall......who says you have to get on the scales every day or even once a week? :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Jennie85
    Jennie85 Posts: 41
    Options
    i feel the same way i am totally obsessed with the scale ( i know its not a good thing but i cant help it but weigh myself every day) i do want to lose inches but i also want this stinking scale to show me the # i want know what i mean?
  • brobwill
    brobwill Posts: 8
    Options
    You said it sista! Just gotta chill though, right?
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to offer my encouragement. Stay the crap away from the scale. They are evil and they lie. Ok they don't always lie...:happy: When I started this little weight loss journey I didn't touch a scale for a year. I based what I had lost on the way my clothes fit and the things I was able to do (exactly what you're doing now!). I actually gave my scale away. No way to obsess if it isn't there to obsess over!! :bigsmile: as more of the weight has come off I borrow a friends scale about every 2 or 3 weeks to mark my progress. If I don't feel like I've lost anything I stay the hell away from it. It's the best thing I've EVER done for myself. This is the longest I've ever stuck with losing weight (It's been a year and a half) and I'm pretty sure it's because I am not freaking out over pounds and inches. I'm focused on physical goals (I ran a mile and a half without stopping the other day) eating right, and whether or not my clothes fit. It's a refreshing change. :happy: I wish you the best of luck!!!

:drinker:
    To no scales!!
  • brobwill
    brobwill Posts: 8
    Options
    Thanks a bunch for sayin'.....really helps to hear feedback!
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    I've been exercising this time which I never did before when dieting. I keep feeling frustrated that the number on the scale is 10 pounds higher than it was when I was thin before. I'm wearing the exact same size I wore back then. I look good and I feel good but I'm for some reason hung up on that scale number. When I did my body fat calculations, I found I'm actually in the low category for body fat. We all need to stop looking at the scale and thinking it should be a certain low number. If you have muscle, you will be smaller and look better. So really who cares what that thing says. :)