inner thigh gap

Options
2»

Replies

• brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Reduced calorie diet. You can't spot reduce.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Any workout suggestions on how to destroy my ridiculously huge thighs? I miss that gap!

You're wanting to destroy muscle or you're wanting to lose fat? Pick a goal because these are two different concepts. Work on your nutrition and keep up the work at the gym. Honestly, if you get your body in good shape the last thing anyone is going to notice is a thigh gap. They'll be way too focused on the rest of you to bother noticing that you don't have adolescent legs anymore.

That's nice and all, but I still want a gap. I think it looks good. I nicely asked My Fitness Pal's community boards if anyone had any workout suggestions for what I thought was obvious in a forum like this: toning thighs in order to thin them, creating an inner thigh gap. Thanks, though.

Look up "pop-pilates" on youtube. There's a couple of good thigh workouts on there
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    If you don't already have a "gap" hidden under body fat you might never see one. With pregnancy a wider pelvis might slightly increase your Q angle, but other than that there's not much you can do to change your skeletal structure.
    Besides, the larger the Q angle the more prone you are to knee pain, ACL tears, pronated ankles, fallen arches and so on. A narrower angle can be a great advantage in athletic performance. :)

*editing to add it's also your femoral neck angle, and it's insertion.
    242by3q.jpg
  • Dfracassa
    Dfracassa Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I bet my thighs are bigger.

A thigh-off! :smile:
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Squats, lunges, dead lifts, and bent over rows. Plus the ubiquitous you are going to have to lose more body fat. But there is no reason not to build muscle and try to lift your booty while you are doing it. A nice muscular lifted booty definitely balances out heavier thighs.

Wait, but if she wants that gap, isn't more muscles going to impede that? If you can't spot reduce, and it seems the general consensus is that you can't, then how would working out especially the lower body help with the circumference, other than to increase the number of calories burnt. I just get so confused whenever people say to work out specific muscles, then say in that you can't spot reduce. If you can't spot reduce, then working out those muscles isn't going to help fat reduction in the area around those muscles. It just helps you gain a more muscular look, which is not necessarily for everyone. Don't get me wrong, I like looking fit, but these forums keep getting me confused with the spot reduction or no spot reduction analysis.

Those exercises build on a woman's largest muscle mass areas the quads, hamstrings, and glutes plus work on core strength as without a machine they require all kinds of stabilization (and being compound exercises they work all kinds of muscles and NOT just isolation). Increased muscle mass increases metabolic rate, and working on the muscles you have the best chance to "improve" increases the amount that metabolic rate MAY be changed. (A woman is rarely going to be able to build a similar level of muscle in her arms as she will in her lower body) Also, there is more of a focus there on the hamstrings than the quads, and most women tend to be unbalanced in favor of quads, which isn't healthy in terms of gait and postural stability. Finally, these are not really targeting the adductor muscles so, depending on her genetics, that isn't where the muscle would be likely to build.

So, end results: decreased overall fat mass, nice lean muscular legs and a firm butt that should actually be defined from the hamstrings, and eventually, assuming she is actually built for one, a thigh gap that is actually surrounded by attractively configured limbs, IYSWIM.
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    I prefer a gap between my thighs that is created by a face.

What?
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Any workout suggestions on how to destroy my ridiculously huge thighs? I miss that gap!

You're wanting to destroy muscle or you're wanting to lose fat? Pick a goal because these are two different concepts. Work on your nutrition and keep up the work at the gym. Honestly, if you get your body in good shape the last thing anyone is going to notice is a thigh gap. They'll be way too focused on the rest of you to bother noticing that you don't have adolescent legs anymore.

That's nice and all, but I still want a gap. I think it looks good. I nicely asked My Fitness Pal's community boards if anyone had any workout suggestions for what I thought was obvious in a forum like this: toning thighs in order to thin them, creating an inner thigh gap. Thanks, though.

eat less and you're good then. Also breastfeeding exclusively uses body fat from the lower body. The people saying you can't spot reduce are not completely correct......

During pregnancy women put on extra fat on the thighs/butt and do utilize that stored fat very effectively during breastfeeding, but they do not only exclusively gain there during pregnancy and exclusively lose there during breastfeeding. When I was breastfeeding (not dieting, eating tons of healthy foods, but also exercising) I felt that my upper body was getting too slim. I was happy with my lower body and did not need to lose or gain there. Although my aesthetic has changed since then. I am no longer overly concerned about being too thin and I have re-developed a lot of my muscle.
  • bodyisawonderland
    Options
    To lose the body fat you need to change your diet primarily and adopt an exercise plan. It is of the utmost importance to cut sugar out of your diet, done by becoming aware and start reading nutritional labels and limiting the amount of times you eat out as there are so many ingredients that could be included in a dish it is hard to tell how many calories you are consuming.

You should also limit snacking and have a full, low calorie but still fulfilling meal - I recommend ZeroPrep smoothie Packs because they are frozen fresh fruit combined with exotic nuts and seeds for a healthy smoothie recipe that is no fuss and unlike regular smoothies most people whip together, are low in calories. Most people have no idea how many calories they consume with smoothies.

Next, you want to find a way to curb your appetite with what I like to call, "hunger training" which you can google for more information. Eating a lot of carbs, wheat (and it's worth repeating - SUGAR) actually causes you to feel hungry shortly after and crave the same types of food - carbs, wheat, sugar - which is typically high in calorie and makes you feel lethargic (when the more energy you have the better).

The solution is to eat more NATURAL, WHOLE foods. I like the saying of "if it comes in a box, you probably should nix/limit it". Another way of putting it is to cut out processed food which is typically filled with salt, carbs and sugar!

Go for low calorie but filling foods that contain fiber, protein and fat (the good kind!). Some examples are adding ground flax seeds to your meals or shakes, lean chicken or white fish (salmon is great but is very high in calories so watch your portion if you choose this fish)

Which reminds me, one important last tip (there are so many more but I could write a book on the topic (and I have) is to buy yourself a food scale to be used in conjunction with myfitnesspal or any other free diet tracking site out! Tracking is great, but if you're just eyeballing your proportions you are going to be terribly inaccurate when it comes to the amount of calories you are consuming.

Then of course, there is exercise - you have to expend more energy than you consume if you want to lose fat (there's no other way around this).

You can calculate the amount of energy you expend and base metabolic rate with many of the free bmr and tdee calculators on the internet. (I go into excruciating detail on how to determine how many calories you need to eat to lose fat in an upcoming youtube video - search our channel periodically, thighgaphack, on youtube).

You burn calories and fat with exercise by getting your heart rate up and keeping it up for at least an hour. I'm talking about extended periods of CARDIO here. And no, you don't need to lift heavy. I haven't lifted a weight over 6 pounds in my 4 years of working out (and that's when I combine my 3 pound weights to get a little extra kick) and I am very lean and slim with great definition. It is important though to limit the breaks in between and make sure you are sweating, because if you aren't sweating frankly you aren't doing exercise effective enough to reap the results you want.

You want to retain the muscles everywhere else in your body and lose the ones in your legs so you need to work your quads/hams/etc. with toning exercises sparingly (only like 1 - 2 times per week, and it need not be super intense or long - 30 mins. will do) and focus on keeping the muscles in your back, arms, chest and abs to keep your metabolism revving. This doesn't apply for lower body exercises that give no resistance or building up effect (so kickboxing, power walking, jumping rope, dancing)

Another great way to get that heart rate up (which is the key to losing fat) is to use light weights and try to combine as many body parts as possible. So for example, instead of just doing a chess press while standing, do a chess press and kick your leg at the same time. You burn more energy that way. Jumping rope and hoola hooping are also GREAT cardio exercises, but fast walking where you also vigorously move your arms (e.g. swinging them back and forth or incorporating 'speed bags') work as well. Jillian Michaels' workout videos, Insanity, kickboxing and p90x are also worth looking into.

Resource: I have written a book called "the Thigh Gap Hack" that covers every "hack" in the book (quite literally) that will help women reach their goals of getting low body fat or losing leg muscles much quicker!

I also write about advanced fat loss techniques for women who want to achieve low body fat on my blog at http://www.thighgaphack.com

I'd say though to really focus in on that diet to start. You can submit a detailed list of the foods you have eaten for our review on the blog and I'll give you thorough analysis/feedback (as you can see, I love to write about this subject) on what you may or may not need to change.
    Here's the link: http://thighgaphack.com/on_a_diet_and_still_not_losing_weight/
  • heiditracker
    heiditracker Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Squats for sure. Try this, put your legs shoulder width apart, toes pointing out, squat and then bring your knees in and out to the front, you'll look like your doing the Chicken dance in the squatting position.
  • sarahstrezo
    sarahstrezo Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Well....I can tell you that starving yourself is not going to give you the result you are after.
  • workout_junkee
    workout_junkee Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I do have a thigh gap.

I did it by running, cross training, strength training and healthy eating. I truly believe it was a combo of all.
  • workout_junkee
    workout_junkee Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Well....I can tell you that starving yourself is not going to give you the result you are after.

Agree, I am not a believer of starvation diets. I never ate less than 1600 calories and ate back my exercise calories. It is mire about eating the right foods.
  • mogletdeluxe
    mogletdeluxe Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I never aspired to have a thigh gap. I now have one. Genetics, eh?

I have muscular legs, and swear by spin and squats to get 'em in shape. No idea how I got my thigh gap, unfortunately.