Setting Calories at TDEE to Meet Weight Loss Goals

Options
2»

Replies

• Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    all this talk about TDEE vs everything else is a little confusing

i just figured mine out at iifym.com and it says i should be eating at 4804 a day. this seems a bit too high for me.

MFP has me eating 1900 a day. my current weight is 233.5 and i want to get to 212 so 1900 is suggested

who do i believe?
  • VickiMitkins
    VickiMitkins Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Actually I was set for one lb per week at 1200 colories. Problem is a sedentary job and only about 30 minutes most days to get in any exersize
  • VickiMitkins
    Options
    all this talk about TDEE vs everything else is a little confusing

i just figured mine out at iifym.com and it says i should be eating at 4804 a day. this seems a bit too high for me.

MFP has me eating 1900 a day. my current weight is 233.5 and i want to get to 212 so 1900 is suggested

who do i believe?

If my understanding of TDEE is accurate, the number provided would be for you to stay exactly where you are. for weight loss you would deduct a percetage of calories from that number. I've read anywhere from 10-30% depending on goals. Or like me instead of plugging in your current weight, plug in your goal weight and see what it says.
  • VickiMitkins
    Options
    Thanks for a great exchange. I've read some of the information y'all posted :smile: and I'm encouraged that this is a good way to meet my health goals.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    The fat2fit site does indeed do that, sadly they use the least accurate Harris BMR still for some reason.

The Mifflin BMR has been found to be about 5% more accurate, at healthy weight and avg LBM to fat ratio of the healthy participants the study was based on.

They also force you to use a sub-goal if the range is too big, and you still have the problem of picking the right activity level - is 60 min of walking equal to 60 min of lifting equal to 60 min of running?
    Hardly.

So indeed, I had a Eating for Future You group and spreadsheet that finally became a spreadsheet for the more used TDEE deficit method.
    I did that group before I knew fat2fit was doing it, but I'm glad I did because I still prefer this method, and many with very consistent routines have indeed set it and forgot it. They let me know from time to time still losing.

I recently put the Eating for Future You on the Simple Setup tab to visually compare too on a newer spreadsheet.

It'll usually be a smaller deficit, sometimes not. The new usage actually is still 5% off goal weight TDEE, or otherwise it might take a long time to lose the last 5 lbs. But that's still close enough to learn to eat at goal weight.

Description and link for new spreadsheet here in that old group.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/813720-spreadsheet-bmr-tdee-deficit-macro-calcs-hrm-zones
  • tdooley59
    tdooley59 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Saving for topic link.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Yes! I did that--ate for maintenance at my goal weight. Worked out awesome.