How many calories Roller Skating at the roller rink

Options
Can't find any good data, is MFP pretty close if I use Roller Blading? If not, has anyone used a HRM that likes skate? Generally moving at 8-12 mph, and i skate for about 2-3 hours in a 4 hour session.

**edited for spelling mistake**

Replies

• dazleyj
    dazleyj Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Welcome2theHellmouth
    Options
    I have never been able to figure it out either. I skate 2 days a week and I believe it has contributed to my loss! Probably roller blading and ice skating is the only thing close enough.
  • mtfr810
    mtfr810 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I have totally given up on calorie estimates. I am totally sold on using a heart rate monitor. You get an instant read of how much you've burned and it will be way more accurate. I'm usually burning 50-100% more than any of the estimates. That does a lot to help me feel more motivated to get moving!
  • sandobr1
    sandobr1 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I roller skate usually 1 to 3 times a week with my hrm and try to burn 300 calories, when I am alone at an adult skate this takes me about 40 minutes, that is moving the entire time fairly quick, do not know mph. This is about 1/2 what MFP would give me in calorie count. I use my own "speed" skates (quads) and feel there is a fair amount of resistance, guessing inline skates are smoother/faster with less resistance. Before I got my HRM I only gave myself 1/2 credit in time and that was close now that I know from my HRM.
  • dazleyj
    Options
    Thanks, i guess i'll try a hrm!
  • dazleyj
    Options
    I used a polar hrm today, recorded my heartrate for 180 min, it was interesting. My avg. Rate was 138bpm. Using a calorie expendature estimator, i burned a net 2400ish calories. Mfp estimates put me at 2422. So its pretty much really close.:wink:
  • shannonwechser
    shannonwechser Posts: 2 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I lost 100 pounds roller skating. I now compete in roller dance on a national level. I love skating. You can expect to burn about 600-900 calories at a session (depending on how much you weigh) if you keep moving the whole time. Stay out of the snack bar! :smile: :)