How Much Water is Too Much?

Options
I know that we should drink at least 8 glasses (64 oz.) of water a day, but I drink a lot more than that, maybe 12 or even 15 glasses a day. How much water is too much? Am I drinking too much?

Replies

• amathus
    amathus Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Signs of hyponatremia:

Abnormal mental status
    Confusion
    Decreased consciousness
    Hallucinations
    Possible coma
    Convulsions
    Fatigue
    Headache
    Irritability
    Loss of appetite
    Muscle spasms or cramps
    Muscle weakness
    Nausea
    Restlessness
    Vomiting

As long as you're not feeling sick, I wouldn't worry about it.
  • MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    From what I understand, it's not a matter of 'too much'- it's a matter of too much, too soon. For example, if you drink 64-80oz of water in a day, you should be fine. If you drink 64-80oz of water in an HOUR, you could be in trouble.

Think of it this way: Your body is like a machine, and it needs electricity to power it. The electrolytes in your body (salt, potassium, etc) help your body and your brain communicate, and keep your 'battery charged'. Drink too much water in too short a period of time, and your 'battery' gets 'flooded'. As long as you're consuming water at a rate that can be handled safely by your kidneys, you're okay.
  • starcrossed
    Options
    To properly cleanse, it's best to drink 1/2 your body weight in ounces a day. 150 punds = 150 ounces a day. That is the best formula I've experienced!
    Good luck!
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    To properly cleanse, it's best to drink 1/2 your body weight in ounces a day. 150 punds = 150 ounces a day. That is the best formula I've experienced!
    Good luck!
    Erm -- 1/2 of 150 is 75. So, if you're 150 pounds, 75 oz according to your rule.

But, I concur with MercuryBlue. I'm a sipper at I sip well over 100oz of water some days -- sometimes upwards of 150oz+. No big deal. If I seriously chugged 150oz of water in just a few minutes, then it could possibly be a problem. Healthy human kidneys easily process 15 liters of fluid in 24 hours.
  • tobebetter
    Options
    thank you all :happy: