My 3 month old at the gym?

Options

Replies

• sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Is it ok to take my daughter to the gym? They have a kids room but I wouldn't put her in there I don't think.She's 3 months and no kids are ever in, its beside the tredmill and its glass so I could see her, but maybe she should be in her carrier beside me. What do you guys think?

The childcare area at the YMCA I attend starts taking babies at 6 weeks old. If they have staff to take care of the kids, go for it! Nothing says you cannot peek at her every little bit to make sure she is OK. The first Y I was a member of had special glass in the window so parents could *spy* on the kids but not be seen...

I also have seen several people bring babies in carriers or strollers into the fitness area. My Pastor's daughter brought her baby in and picked a treadmill where the carrier would be out of the way. I almost didn't even know the baby was there!

I also saw a lady who had her baby in a stroller while she was on some of the strength machines. The baby was asleep and didn't make a peep.
  • Micahroni84
    Micahroni84 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Its much safer for her and eveyone else if she is in the gym day care.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Teach her how to hang clean
  • tressieazbill
    tressieazbill Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I let my son who was really young go..But it was only twice a week and I made sure he was down for his nap right before I went..SO he slept the whole time in his car seat. No one had to mess with him or let him be around other kids and it made it easier on the child care.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not. Unsafe and a liability on the wellness floors.

This. They have a daycare use it. If you aren't comfortable with the daycare find a sitter.

The gym I go to has a rule that the child must be 7 and in the presence of an adult at all times - and they can only use the cardio equipment or track.
  • perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Do not take her in the gym with you. Take her to the children's area, or leave her home (NOT alone!).
  • pinky_pinkster
    pinky_pinkster Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I would say (from working in gym creche's) to first check the gym creche e.g. recent inspections and their rules/policies/procedures and also check the qualifications of the people that work there. See if you can have a session sitting and playing with your child in the creche - see how you feel once your in there - do the staff seem nice/attentive/ like people you would trust with your child?
    See if you can talk to any other parents that have children that use the creche.
    I'm sure you know best so if it doesn't feel right - don't leave your child in there even if you can see them through the glass as it will probably be distracting and you might worry about them and even tiny babies pick up on this.

As for taking your baby into a gym - I don't know about that, as a childcare provider its probably not something I would recommend in case its dirty or not safe even if they are in a carrier.

Hope that helps a bit!
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Put your baby in the kids room if you have to bring her with you. If you don't want to do that find someone to watch her while you go.

Having a baby beside you while you are trying to workout will only cause you to not be as focused on your workout and will most likely distract those around you. Depending on your gym children may not even be allowed in the workout area. Personally, I wouldn't like it as fellow gym member if there was a baby around as if baby starts to fuss or cry it can be distracting for everyone around you.

If you don't want to put your baby in the daycare, leave her at home with someone while you go to the gym or find someone to watch her. If you don't want to put her in the daycare and there is no one to watch her while you go to the gym do workouts at home.
  • JamieM8168
    JamieM8168 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Same as most everyone else who responded... put her in the kids room or find a babysitter.
  • mangelsenm
    Options
    As someone who goes to a YMCA where parents allow their young children to run all over the place instead of using the child care, I say put her in the child care, or leave her with someone you trust when you go to the gym. I realize that she is only 3 months old, and would not be running all over, but I do not go to the gym to be distracted by a crying infant. The room where the treadmills are is noisy and I have doubts if she would remain quiet the entire time you are there.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I take my daughter to the kids room at the Y all the time and she loves it, but I don't know that I would feel equally safe taking an infant there, as there are usually only 2 workers for however many kids are there at a time. I know that at regular daycares, the ratio of caregivers to infants is usually 2:1 at least. Then there is the germ factor this time of year. Flu and RSV can be deadly for an infant and they are very common this time of year.

I would also discourage you from taking her into the gym. It is against the rules at my gym and probably wouldn't be safe. You would have to set her carrier in a walkway and I agree that an infant would be distracting to others.

I would work out at home, find someone to care for her at home, or find a regular, trustworthy caregiver to take care of her while you go to the gym.
  • SlickFootAnna
    SlickFootAnna Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    No. A 3 month old at the gym? No. Not really the most hygienic place for a baby....
  • jesindc
    jesindc Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I would definitely recommend using the designated childcare area of your gym. That is what it is there for. We had that at the gym I used to go to and truly, you're probably only going to be working out for an hour, during which time your baby will probably be sleeping. At my gym, if the kids got really fussy, one of the women would just come find the mom and/or dad to let them know.

If you carry your baby along with you while you're working out, you risk annoying the other members and or management, and it's also probably all around safer for the baby in the kid's room.
  • sarahertzberger
    sarahertzberger Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I probably wouldn't for safety reasons, but I workout at home because I don't let people I don't know watch my children, just find some really good workout videos and get some weights to use at home.
  • MrsBikiniBound
    Options
    I was at the gym the other day and someone had their infant in a carrier beside the treadmill and it completely distracted both her and everyone in the cardio area because the baby was fussing the entire time. Kids area is where kids should go, if they dont take babies then see if you can get a babysitter,
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    She would be a distraction, and to be blunt, I would be annoyed as another gym goer if a child was in the gym. There is no way she would be able to sit still, quiet, and not fuss.
  • keenesmom
    keenesmom Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Your 3 mos. old should NOT be in the gym. If you are uncomfortable leaving the baby at the day care center then you should find a sitter to stay at your house or maybe you could workout at home. A gym is no place for a baby. Personally I would complain if someone was toting around a baby in the gym.
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    How about finding another mom who you cam swap babysitting with so you can each go to the gym. You could even meet up there and take turns sitting in the childcare area if you aren't comfortable with the sitter at the gym.
  • Rehobobound
    Rehobobound Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I took my son when he was a baby. It really depends on the gym and if you feel comfortable with the day care then do it. Ours was great, they had a separate area for infants. As far as babies on the floor, other than the fact that it's probably dangerous to have an infant on the wellness floor, I doubt that the gym would permit you to do so.
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I personally would not have been comfortable leaving my 3 month old at a gym daycare and I'd never have a baby in an infant carrier on the floor of a gym near exercise equipment or weights. For now, I'd go on long, brisk walks pushing the stroller and when your child is older, invest in a good jogging stroller.