Advice on waist size

Options
Okay, so first off, I apologize if this is in the wrong forum, just wasn't sure where to post.
I just did my health assessment at work.......for the record, I am 5'8, currently at 145 lbs, and workout 4-5 days a week. I am in between small and medium frame, probably more on the medium frame size.

The problem. She measured my waist and said it was 35 inches. I really don't see how that is possible. She measured right at my naval. Yes, I did have clothes on. Is this the "normal" waist size for my height? I have a small upper frame (boney) and have some hips.

Am I just obsessed ??

Replies

• now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it too much... everyone will have a different measurement even at the same height and weight. It all depends on muscle mass. Muscle is what will make you smaller without changing your weight (or even causing it to go up). A higher body fat % will cause measurements to be higher.
  • dontcallmecass
    Options
    Waist size is an iffy subject because everyones body is different.

For example, I am 5'0, 97 pounds and have a 29 inch waist. According to size charts I should wear a 8/10 pant because I have a 29 inch waist...but I have never worn anything bigger than a 2. I am petite and small framed and definitely don't need to lose much weight, if any. I just happen to have more of a ruler shaped body. Everyone's weight is distributed differently.
  • phildawson75
    phildawson75 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Everyone's waist is different there's no correct size. Measuring should really be done on the skin so its probably a little less but I don't see any problems.

I would agree with it being linked to body fat %.

Im 5.7 and at 26% BF I was a mens uk 36" and at 13% BF I'm now 28". My actual waist is probably 4" bigger than than my trouser measurement due to clothing companies marketing, so in reality 32"s if I measured my waist.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Okay, so first off, I apologize if this is in the wrong forum, just wasn't sure where to post.
    I just did my health assessment at work.......for the record, I am 5'8, currently at 145 lbs, and workout 4-5 days a week. I am in between small and medium frame, probably more on the medium frame size.

The problem. She measured my waist and said it was 35 inches. I really don't see how that is possible. She measured right at my naval. Yes, I did have clothes on. Is this the "normal" waist size for my height? I have a small upper frame (boney) and have some hips.

Am I just obsessed ??

I get my waist measured by my PT - he measures my natural waist, where I clearly go in, so the smallest part. I'm an hourglass shape so I guess it's really obvious on me. I'm 5'6", 161lbs and my waist is 30". The measurement around my belly button is slightly bigger, maybe 33", but that is clearly not my waist but my stomach. Everyone has a different shape though.