Does sleep apnea get better?

Options
rgohm
rgohm Posts: 294 Member
I did search this topic on the board but didn't find an answer. I have obstructive sleep apnea and have used a cpap machine for a couple of years now and I am happy to have because before I had it I was in miserable condition. My question is has anyone been able to get rid of their machines after a big weight loss? I got mine when I was about 265 lbs, I have been much heavier since getting it (my fault, not the machine) but now that I am exercising and losing weight I am wondering if I can ever be free of it. Has anyone here been able to get off of their machine?

Replies

• JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it's supposed to be common to get off them if you lose weight. I'll let you know in a few months. :)
  • AmberB519
    AmberB519 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I've heard that it can go completely away with weight loss. No personal experience with it, though.
  • rgohm
    rgohm Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it's supposed to be common to get off them if you lose weight. I'll let you know in a few months. :)

I look forward to your update!
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    My husband was using a cpap machine for sleep apnea for several years. The doctor told him when he got it to not gain any more weight because that would make the sleep apnea worse. He ignored that advice and gained quite a bit of weight. He recently lost 40+ lbs (and is working to lose even more because he was up to 265), and his snoring as improved significantly. So much so that he doesn't use his cpap anymore.