Help finding the right exercise

Hey guys, I'm kind of new to this, but have been on here a couple weeks anyway. So here's my dilemma. I want to lose weight. I was a paramedic for 6 years, and got injured in the line of duty. Since then I've gained a lot of weight.

Here's the problem. I have 6 ruptured discs and a brachial-plexus nerve tear. I can't lift more than 5bs. No pushing or pulling more than 5 lbs. No bending/twisting. No treadmills. So what CAN I do to burn some calories? I'm down to 1200 a day, but I have a feeling it's doing no good because I'm just sitting on my *kitten*.

Replies

• yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Im pretty sure that if your doctor gave you all those restrictions, they also told you what you are allowed to do.

Do what your doctor told you to do.

Don't look for a different answer that you might just like more, from a bunch of internet strangers that don't know anything about your situation.

No doctor tells someone they cant walk or pick up five pounds without telling them what they should be doing instead, or how to maintain physical activity. If you are not still in physical therapy for your injuries, then you have a list from your doctor already.

Good luck.
  • What about swimming? It is very low impact and great cardio. There is also aqua aerobics. Ask your doc. You can also search for isometric exercises and low mobility exercises. there are some good ideas out there. Once you find some that appeal to you see what your doctor thinks about them.:happy:
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    What about swimming? It is very low impact and great cardio. There is also aqua aerobics. Ask your doc. You can also search for isometric exercises and low mobility exercises. there are some good ideas out there. Once you find some that appeal to you see what your doctor thinks about them.:happy:

no pushing pulling bending or twisting, including body weight
  • BlueInkDot
    BlueInkDot Posts: 702 Member
    Yeah, it sounds like a question SPECIFICALLY for your doctor.

He might have some specific physical therapy type stuff for you to do. Good luck. <3
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    This is a question that should only be asked of a trained medical professional that is familiar with your specific situation