Exercise & Infection...

CaptainJim157
CaptainJim157 Posts: 390
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
Hello, I went to the Emergency yesterday, I have a really bad infection apparently, and it's extremely sore, I'd like to exercise still, (as it's gorgeous outside) but I'm afraid it'll cause the pain to come back,.. Any suggestions? are there any light exercises I can do? They gave me antibiotics and I'm going back to see the Urologist next week.....

Replies

• mvl1014
    mvl1014 Posts: 531
    You don't mention the type of infection, but mention a urologist. I don't see why a UTI would be worsened by a little exercise. That said, if you're genuinely concerned, take the day off.
  • It's not a UTI infection, it has to do with "guy parts" lol, it feels like someone punched me there,. :(
    'cept the soreness won't go away...
  • if it is a abcess (cyst), or cellulitis that you are talking about, I wouldn't want you changing in the same dressing as me. I might be paranoid, but there is a bacteria out there called MRSA. it really sucks when you have it too. basically I work in a hospital and we put EVERYONE who has been diagnosed with MRSA into Isolation. that being said. make sure you see the urologist!
  • Not sure, but he said I have "Epididymitis, so it was very inflammed and infected,... gah =_=
    lol, sorry if I sound rude, but now that you guys know what it is, any suggestions?
  • you need to rest and TAKE ALL OF YOUR ANTIBIOTICS!!!!!!! Don't worry about exercise right now. your body will probably be using extra calories to fight off your infection. make sure you follow up with the urologist!
  • Okay, thank-you! It just sucks, I hate staying home the whole day, but I do want to get better. And fast! lol
    I wonder how long it'll take,...
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    I went out and read a little about epididymitis (I'm not a doctor - I was curious)... if it were my husband or son with your condition, I would tell them to take it easy for a couple of days. You may be able to go out and take a LEISURELY walk - but it looks like you also want to make sure that you are properly supported... so if you go out to walk (slowly) - no boxers... ya know?

You've got to give the anitbiotics a chance to work. Make sure that you're drinking a lot of water. Not sure what antibiotic they gave you but it looks like it's generally treated with azithromycin or doxycycline - which are pretty strong... so you might also want to eat some yogurt with live cultures to keep things in your gut in check.

Hope that you feel better soon!
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    I would try some light walking. If it causes pain, just take a few days off. You don't want to do anything too strenuous that could cause you pain.
  • Thanks! They gave me "Sulfatrim" that's the brand name, Trimethoprim-Sulfamethoxazole, is the real name, lol
    long word :indifferent: heh,
  • I have a problem, maybe I'm just over reacting, but,... you know how I said the Urologist was going to call me back with the test results and to check up on me? I got a call on the answering machine, I dialed the number and it was for the "Juravinski Cancer Centre" does that mean I could have cancer? or does the Urologist just work there? They were closed so I have to wait till Monday for the office....
    I'm pretty nervous about phoning Monday....
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    I have a problem, maybe I'm just over reacting, but,... you know how I said the Urologist was going to call me back with the test results and to check up on me? I got a call on the answering machine, I dialed the number and it was for the "Juravinski Cancer Centre" does that mean I could have cancer? or does the Urologist just work there? They were closed so I have to wait till Monday for the office....
    I'm pretty nervous about phoning Monday....

Don't panic. Did your Urologist do any tests? Did he mention any other concerns? I would call your doctors office and leave a message - perhaps he has an answering service and calls in to get his messages. He may have hours that he works at the Cancer Centre...
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    yeah don't panic hun, when I get calls from my doctor, the numbers are from a variety of different offices and hospitals.
    Like they all said before me, REST and take ALL your meds.

hope you feel better soon...
  • Okay! Thanks for re-assuring me! I'm definitely going to keep resting and taking my meds!
This discussion has been closed.