Sugar Withdrawls

Options
In addition to counting calories and choosing healthier options, I am trying to seriously cut down on my sugar intake. I have been addicted to sugar for years and have a major sweet tooth. Diabetes runs in my family so I want to get it under control sooner rather than later.
I am trying hard to just avoid it, but have serious withdrawls from the habit!! Any tips for making this a little easier?

Replies

• momasox
    momasox Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I would love answers to this too. I am quiting sugar for the same reasons. I wan't to eat healthier and diabetes runs in my family. Its hard though. I think about sugar on almost a constant basis (sad I know). But I am determined to quit.

The withdrawls are awful
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    I just have to white knuckle it for a couple of days. I know it's horrible. I can't stand the cravings! What helps me get over it faster is eating protein. Lots of protein. Cheese omelet for breakfast, chicken salad for lunch, the healthiest deli meat I can find with string cheese for a snack, and a lettuce wrapped turkey burger for dinner. Once I get past the feeling of wanting to shove a child to the ground to steal their cookie I will add in some healthy breads, more veggies, and fruit. For me it only takes a few days.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Rip the band-aid off quickly and just stop eating it. I used to be dependent on afternoon sugar while at work..the typical 2-3 pm crash that I would get through with the office candy. I quit cold turkey. It took some serious will power and after a week or two it was (and still is) easy to say no.
  • Starlage
    Starlage Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    i do well with either sugar free russell stovers candy (better than you'd think) and super dark chocolate (70% or more) but if you want to stop all together? Yeah.. bandaid method. I personally don't think cutting something out all together is necessary though unless you have a medical reason. Everything in moderation is the goal, right?