New game app ingres can help loss!

BobOki
BobOki Posts: 245 Member
I cannot wait to get added to this game that is currently in beta on android store called Ingres (http://www.ingress.com/)
Basically it is a FULL game that revolves around energy that shows up on your map, which is a real map pulled from google maps. Multi-player for full fun, it basically has you walk around to collect energy that is free floating, then try to hack portals and set up protection etcetc on them once you get them. Again the kicker here is it REQUIRES you to walk all around to get energy (picked up when you come near it) which will force people to do some heavy walking, all while having fun!
I loved silly things like "Oh noes! Zombies!" which are kind of the same thing, but this is much more immersive. I cannot wait till I get a beta code invite! My buddy has his already and he showed me the game, it looks GREAT.

Hope to see more of you there when I get mine!

Replies

• willow_rb
    willow_rb Posts: 69 Member
    It sounds a little similar to neufit.com. Have your tried neufit?
  • BobOki
    BobOki Posts: 245 Member
    No, that looks more like a overall fitness site like Fitocracy.
    Ingres is 100% a game, and not in any way a fitness based app. You could easily get in your car and drive around I suppose as it uses gps not pedometers or the like. It has no achievements or quests to fill, it is straight up a game that just happens to have walking in it.

I think I am looking really forward to it because I will be out walking, and for once it will not have the word fitness or exercise written all over it like all my other stuff. (fitbit, mfp, fitocracy).
    That said, it looks pretty cool, wondering how close it is to Fitocracy.
  • Cheshire_Kat
    Cheshire_Kat Posts: 69 Member
    @ BobOki

Did you get an invite?
  • MissMormie
    MissMormie Posts: 359 Member
    My BF has been playing this excessively since November. It CAN work as a weight loss game, but there's plenty of people for whom it doesn't work like that. In the game you can chat with other people playing. From what I've understood from BF is that about half the people just drive along the portals (generally art/statues in real life) rather than walk or bike. Quite often portals are quite a bit set apart, especially if you're not living near the city centre. Although you can suggest new portals yourself to get more of them in your region.

So, as with every weight loss option, you still need to do the work and not opt for the easy way out.

My BF has weeks where he spends 5 days cycling for about 3 hours to go past portals. He has lost some weight but he's in basically a perfect shape already so not much to change ;)