learning/

Options
Hello, i am definitely new to the exercise scene. I found a site that is called from couch potato to 5k in 2 months and I really like this idea. I want to be able to run 3 miles or more eventually. I guess I am discouraged because most of my weight is from the hips down, so this has made it hard to run. Should I just continue to walk until I have lost more weight and then work on the running or continue to press on? Will my shins stop hurting? So far I am 5 lbs down in two weeks so I guess I am doing something right.

Replies

• MelleyJ
    MelleyJ Posts: 198
    Options
    Hello, i am definitely new to the exercise scene. I found a site that is called from couch potato to 5k in 2 months and I really like this idea. I want to be able to run 3 miles or more eventually. I guess I am discouraged because most of my weight is from the hips down, so this has made it hard to run. Should I just continue to walk until I have lost more weight and then work on the running or continue to press on? Will my shins stop hurting? So far I am 5 lbs down in two weeks so I guess I am doing something right.

I'm married to a marathon runner, so I thought I would be inspired and try running myself. I found I just don't enjoy it as much as I enjoy lifting weights or doing a workout. I was a dancer for many years, and it's more fun to me to do that than running.
    But a few tips, since I work with so many running groups... Most important... check with your doctor about a running program before you start! I work the medical area at many of these marathons, as well as 5K & 10K races. You definitely need the endorcement from your physician to start running!
    Also, try changing your gait a little bit.. meaning try running more on the balls of your feet and try not to use your heels so much when your front foot strikes the pavement. This helped me with the shin & leg pain associated with the repeated pounding while running. As you lose weight the shin splints and other "pains" that you feel will start to go away. I don't like the programs that tell you to run for x minutes and walk for x minutes. Run until you are tired and walk until you are ready. I would say wear a heart rate monitor and use a course with landmarks. That way you can push yourself to run a little bit farther each time you start out and walk a little bit less each time. Hope this helps! Good luck with your first 5K!!!
  • letherid
    letherid Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much. I do need to go check in with the doc. I am gonna still continue to walk and hopefully buildup my endurance.