What's the big deal with avocado?

Options
12346»

Replies

• jakeVScalories
    jakeVScalories Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I don't believe calories are a bad thing, but I do believe I need to limit them by a certain amount if I want to lose weight.

And you know why they are so delicious? Because they are full of fat. Seriously.

Hey, I think they are ok too, when I can decent ones. There's just so much I would choose before avocado to make up my daily food allowance.

You are just chock full 'o 90s fad info, aren't you?? Fat does make things taste good, and fat is important. How many times are we going to have to say it, here? GOOD DIETARY FAT IS GOOD. Avocado provides *necessary* fat as well as delicious flavour. It's basically the worlds most perfect food.

You're just chock full of condescension, aren't you??

As for keeping avocados, I've always had luck just keeping the stone in the unused half, which seems to help prevent it browning.

Seriousley he's right, everyone agrees, eat the dang avacados!!!
  • sarahisme18
    sarahisme18 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Oh, forgot to mention.... an avocado has twice the potassium of a banana. Boom!
  • bkr45678
    bkr45678 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    If you believe calories are a bad thing then yes blueberries are better. Nutrition unfortunately doesn't work that way and a person can have bluberries and avocado and lose weight, crazy but true. j/k :smile:

Indeed. I eat both every single weekday. Blueberries in my yogurt and a avocado/tomato salad at lunch, Avocados also provide fiber and are very filling, yummo for sure.
  • bkr45678
    bkr45678 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    avocado on a sandwich
    avocado on salad
    avocado on baked chicken
    avocado on pan cooked fish
    avocado on crackers
    avocado on veggies
    avocado on rice
    avocado in a tortilla
    avocado with a side of avocado (and maybe a sprinkle of salt)

...mmmmmmm...

*drool*

(And I just had 3 ounces with lunch, now I want more!)
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'd rather have a big cup of blueberries for a snack than half an avocado, for half the calories and none of the fat.

I understand it's better than eating straight lard, I just don't see the great value in it when added up against other foods.

It's good fat. It's OK to eat. Fat does not make you fat.
  • Luvmesumkenny
    Luvmesumkenny Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    EAT ALL THE AVOCADOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Omelette with some cheese onions peppers and slices of avocado topped with sour cream. Mmmmmmm.
  • butterflydrumm
    butterflydrumm Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I used to eat very low fat diet in the past when I was persuing weight loss and then I found out through weight watchers that if you do not have enough healthy fat in your diet, that it ages your skin. Your skin will start to look more like leather and loose its natural glow. Well seeing how I am well into my forty's now and am conserned about how my skin looks , I jumped right on the healthy fat wagon I tell ya. It really makes a difference. I am not a big fan of the taste of avocado but I do put like to put a tenth of one in my fruit smoothie and a teaspoon of coconut oil and I love how the avocado adds creaminess to it. I get some of the benefits without all the calories and fat of a whole one. I want to like the taste of a avocado and this has helped , I am going to try the chocolate avocado thing too. Thanks for the tips.
  • NaurielR
    NaurielR Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    So your preferred source of healthy fat isn't an avocado. So what? As long as you're getting enough healthy fats into your diet, it's okay to pass up the avocado in favor of blue berries. I love being able to eat a large quantity of food, so I completely understand your desire to eat a bunch of one food in place of a little of another food, all for the same amount of calories. As long as you understand that healthy fats are not the enemy, you're doing nothing wrong.

In fact, I'm in the same boat as you. When I have taco salad, I pass up on the avocados. I don't dislike them, but I don't like them enough to spend my calories on them when I could use those calories to put some more nuts in my nightly bowl of cereal.
  • mrstravisjones
    mrstravisjones Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    wholly guacamole sale at kroger grocery stores!!! (at least in my area - triangle area in NC)

2 7oz packs for $3!!!

bought 4 packs today. mmm...