Age is no excuse.

Options
I will be 68 in about one week. I am NOT going to say that it is harder to lose weight at my age than when I was younger, because that would be an excuse to stay at my current size. It would be a lie.

I CAN'T run...work out at the gym...or even stand up, except for a few painful steps on a walker. I live in a wheelchair or desk chair. So...I should just give up...right? WRONG!!!

I have lost 20 pounds in 2 months with little to no exercise. How is this possible for this crippled, old lady who isn't doing cardio and kick boxing to lose weight?

The weight is coming off, because I don't play around with my food plan. I make a commitment to so many calories each day and stick to it. I also make a commitment to eat 3 meals per day of low calorie food and even snacks...not 1 healthy meal per day, so that I can still eat junk food for the rest of the day. That is that kind of thinking that got me to this weight in the first place.

I am an expert at eating 'politely' in front of others; and hiding out, while I eat my REAL FOOD later. Everyone would say, "Sue hardly eats anything, but she can't seem to lose weight. What a shame." The shame was that I couldn't even admit that I had a problem to these friends and family members, because I wasn't ready to make a commitment to do anything about my weight.

I didn't put on my weight, because I got older. I have always had a problem with food being more important than my life. Yes...my life, because I gave up so much for food. I was fat at 15...at 25...35...45...55...and 65! Sure, I went on diets a couple of times; but something would always happen. Any emotional problem was a good excuse to go for the comfort of junk food. The one thing that kept me from being a 'healthy weight' was my own love of junk food...and emotional eating.

I lost 99 pounds, when I was in my 30's. My youngest son got sick, and I held him in my arms at the hospital for days...thinking that he would die. When he got better, I found the vending machines at the hospital. I got right back on the junk food, and mommy was soon back in the 200's again.

Sorry, sisters and brothers of MFP...but here is the painful truth. No one will lose weight who isn't ready to make a REAL commitment to reducing their intake of food...especially high calorie food. No one will keep the weight off who will sacrifice that commitment, when any kind of mood change occurs. "My boyfriend/girlfriend said something or did something I didn't like...got to eat."..."I am bored and can't find anything to do...got to eat."..."It's raining today...so much for my food dairy...let's eat."..."My child almost died...where is the junk food?" and my favorite, "I am older, so I can't lose weight like these youngsters on MSP...I might just as well eat and stay fat."

Stop with the excuses. You can do anything, if you just want it ENOUGH. If I can do it from a wheelchair...if I can do it at age 68...if I can do it without going to the gym...you can do it too. I know you can.

I wouldn't (even if a could) jump on a treadmill or run for an hour just to burn enough calories, so I could eat a bag of french fries or have a coke. Yet...I look at so many MFP folks exercising with no other reason than to EAT MORE FOOD. The trick is to eat LESS, with or without exercise. Sure...get on the treadmill, if you can; but don't waste that workout just for the privilege of eating your favorite junk food. You are your own worst enemy, when you exercise just to eat badly.

By the way, I am not making this commitment so that I can get into a smaller size of clothing. I am doing it, so I can walk again. I CAN and WILL succeed. At 200 pounds, I will get new knees; and I will stand again...walk again...run again...and a lot more, because I am seriously committed to my food plan. After 200 pounds, I will set a new goal; and who knows what I will be able to do...maybe, get on a treadmill? :wink:

How about you? What your excuse...and don't say that it is your age?

Replies

• janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    You are great!
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Good for you.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Well said.

Stop with the excuses. Make a commitment.

I like the way you run right at it.
  • sassy_sparkles
    Options
    Thank you so much for this post! Your motivation and bravery inspire me.

I worked at a nursing home/rehab facility for several years. Some of the residents that broke my heart the most were the people in their 60s and 70s who ate themselves to morbid, disabling obesity and reaped all of the terrible consequences of their weight. They would talk about walking, driving, and dancing again, but never make any changes to their body; they didn't understand that you can't work towards walking again if you sit around eating cookies and goodies from your family. It didn't matter how much the dietician and nurses talked to them about their habits. These men and women simply refused to do what they needed to to do to be where they wanted to be. And as human beings, that was their right and prerogative.

I'm so excited to see you making the changes you need to make. It warms my heart to know that you are dreaming big dreams for yourself and aren't letting age or current ability stop you. You have some wonderful goals to look forward to reaching in the future! I'm adding you as a friend so I can watch your progress :-)
  • cecigirl27
    Options
    great job !
  • mstduff
    mstduff Posts: 17
    Options
    I agree with you.

You will have your new knees in no time! Keep the attitude and keep up the good work!
  • Hanfordrose
    Hanfordrose Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    You are great!

No really...just 'fed up' with excuses...mostly my own.
  • CharlieOverby
    CharlieOverby Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I will be 68 in about one week. I am NOT going to say that it is harder to lose weight at my age than when I was younger, because that would be an excuse to stay at my current size. It would be a lie.

I CAN'T run...work out at the gym...or even stand up, except for a few painful steps on a walker. I live in a wheelchair or desk chair. So...I should just give up...right? WRONG!!!

I have lost 20 pounds in 2 months with little to no exercise. How is this possible for this crippled, old lady who isn't doing cardio and kick boxing to lose weight?

The weight is coming off, because I don't play around with my food plan. I make a commitment to so many calories each day and stick to it. I also make a commitment to eat 3 meals per day of low calorie food and even snacks...not 1 healthy meal per day, so that I can still eat junk food for the rest of the day. That is that kind of thinking that got me to this weight in the first place.

I am an expert at eating 'politely' in front of others; and hiding out, while I eat my REAL FOOD later. Everyone would say, "Sue hardly eats anything, but she can't seem to lose weight. What a shame." The shame was that I couldn't even admit that I had a problem to these friends and family members, because I wasn't ready to make a commitment to do anything about my weight.

I didn't put on my weight, because I got older. I have always had a problem with food being more important than my life. Yes...my life, because I gave up so much for food. I was fat at 15...at 25...35...45...55...and 65! Sure, I went on diets a couple of times; but something would always happen. Any emotional problem was a good excuse to go for the comfort of junk food. The one thing that kept me from being a 'healthy weight' was my own love of junk food...and emotional eating.

I lost 99 pounds, when I was in my 30's. My youngest son got sick, and I held him in my arms at the hospital for days...thinking that he would die. When he got better, I found the vending machines at the hospital. I got right back on the junk food, and mommy was soon back in the 200's again.

Sorry, sisters and brothers of MFP...but here is the painful truth. No one will lose weight who isn't ready to make a REAL commitment to reducing their intake of food...especially high calorie food. No one will keep the weight off who will sacrifice that commitment, when any kind of mood change occurs. "My boyfriend/girlfriend said something or did something I didn't like...got to eat."..."I am bored and can't find anything to do...got to eat."..."It's raining today...so much for my food dairy...let's eat."..."My child almost died...where is the junk food?" and my favorite, "I am older, so I can't lose weight like these youngsters on MSP...I might just as well eat and stay fat."

Stop with the excuses. You can do anything, if you just want it ENOUGH. If I can do it from a wheelchair...if I can do it at age 68...if I can do it without going to the gym...you can do it too. I know you can.

I wouldn't (even if a could) jump on a treadmill or run for an hour just to burn enough calories, so I could eat a bag of french fries or have a coke. Yet...I look at so many MFP folks exercising with no other reason than to EAT MORE FOOD. The trick is to eat LESS, with or without exercise. Sure...get on the treadmill, if you can; but don't waste that workout just for the privilege of eating your favorite junk food. You are your own worst enemy, when you exercise just to eat badly.

By the way, I am not making this commitment so that I can get into a smaller size of clothing. I am doing it, so I can walk again. I CAN and WILL succeed. At 200 pounds, I will get new knees; and I will stand again...walk again...run again...and a lot more, because I am seriously committed to my food plan. After 200 pounds, I will set a new goal; and who knows what I will be able to do...maybe, get on a treadmill? :wink:

How about you? What your excuse...and don't say that it is your age?
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Age is my excuse and so is womanhood. If, before I reach goal, I run into my ex who I know got fat thanks to FB. I will say "wow, I had a kid, 3 surgeries and am 7 years older than you....what's your excuse?"

That's my fantasy involving my ex.
  • CharlieOverby
    CharlieOverby Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I am 70 years old and had both knees replaced. You are right about watching your intake and loosing weight. I still hold enough calories during the day so that I can have a few drinks at night.
  • Hanfordrose
    Options
    great job !

I still have a long way to go. I need friends like you to keep me on track. There will be day, when I may slip back into my old way of thinking...try to make excuses for myself. It will be 'true friends' who can remind me that I can do it.

I may be the cheerleader today; but I may need a cheerleader to motivate me, when I get discouraged. Satan has a way of sneaking up on me and telling me that I can't or don't deserve better. Just a heads up, I am a Christian and a pastor's wife. My hubbie and my God give me strength; but you my friends, who know what it is like to be fat, are my inspiration. I figure that we are all in this together.
  • erickita89
    erickita89 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    thanks for posting this. i feel so inspired now !!!! =) I was thinking about not going to the gym because its snowing a bit... but now i will go =) no excuse!
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Great post and all, but there's nothing wrong with doing this. Nobody needs to be perfect for success and people should not be discouraged from working out. If it gets them moving to have a small treat after they EARN it, it doesn't really matter.
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    badass (bad · *kitten*) n., pl -es 1. Someone who lives life free of any excuses they could make, no matter how legitimate those excuses may appear to be. 2. A person who doesn't say "I can't" even if everyone else is saying it. 3. A person who defines him- or herself by accomplishments, not limitations. 4. A person who realizes that there is always another way, and that almost nothing is impossible.

[from: thebadassproject.com]
  • Hanfordrose
    Options
    Age is my excuse and so is womanhood. If, before I reach goal, I run into my ex who I know got fat thanks to FB. I will say "wow, I had a kid, 3 surgeries and am 7 years older than you....what's your excuse?"

That's my fantasy involving my ex.

I have an exhusband of 22 tortured years, who I hated for 30 years. Yep, I hated him even during our marriage. I wasn't until I became a Christian that I realized that 'the weight' of that hatred was a burden on me...not on himself. On the day that I let that anger go, I feel lighter. Now, all I can do is pity him. His life is more miserable that I would have wished on him, and he put it on him.

What will do you the most good is to change you fantasy. Think of him approaching you and saying, "You look great." Then, you say, "Thanks. So do you." Then, you walk away, while he realizes that he lost the best thing that he ever had.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    excuses arent sexy.
  • Hanfordrose
    Options
    thanks for posting this. i feel so inspired now !!!! =) I was thinking about not going to the gym because its snowing a bit... but now i will go =) no excuse!

Thank you, Sis. This post served a good purpose...if just for you. :heart: Have a good day at the gym. Do something sweaty and say this is for Sue. :happy:
  • trackercasey76
    trackercasey76 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I watched a 73 year old man get hit black belt in taekwondo on Saturday. Age is only a number.
  • Hanfordrose
    Options
    You are your own worst enemy, when you exercise just to eat badly.
    Great post and all, but there's nothing wrong with doing this. Nobody needs to be perfect for success and people should not be discouraged from working out. If it gets them moving to have a small treat after they EARN it, it doesn't really matter.

Read the last line again, Sis. I am referring to the act of exercising just for an excuse to eat 'badly'. I know that a good workout needs some fuel, but working out...just to eat more calories is pointless...an excuse for going nowhere.
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    <3 u!! keep at it! you're killing it.