Half Marathon Training!!

Options
Hey everyone!!! I am starting to train for my first half marathon!! It will be June 2nd and I can not wait!! Does anyone have any advice for me during my training =) I have only been running for about 4 months but I love love love it!! I am up to about 5 miles now and had been slowly adding on distance every week. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Replies

• baldzach
    baldzach Posts: 1,841 Member
    Options
    Yep.
    Be sure to take rest days. Far too many runners get excited that they're able to go far without getting tired and they forget that their legs/joints/ankles, etc., aren't as adaptive as their heart/lungs are. Rest days (1-2 a week, at least), and "cutback weeks" where you dial down the distance for a week are crucial.

I can give you more specific advice if you'd like, including training plans or whatever, if you'll send me a message.
    Good luck! Half marathons are awesome! And soon after you finish you'll be asking yourself when you could do a full! :)
  • beproudbestrong
    Options
    YAY!!!! I will be starting to train also for a mini in June! I was given a website: www.marathonrookie.com/half-marathon-training.com.. Check it out... GOOD LUCK!!!!
  • Diahann_Hughes
    Diahann_Hughes Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Ive done loads of 5 and 10ks have entered for my first half marathon also in October any advice will also be greatly appreciated :) x
  • runningforlife68
    Options
    This is just my opinion and I am sure some disagree but when I ran my first half last Oct I had really wished that I had trained beyond the 10 miles that most training plans have you run. I had plenty of time to do it but I didn't. They all say a beginner can finish a half by running up to 10 miles which is true and I didn't feel too bad. But had I trained past 13.1 I would have ripped up the road like I did the first 8 miles. By mile 11 my legs were spent. I also wish that I had done more lifting both upper and lower body. The other things lots of rest eat correctly and most of all have tons of fun!! It was a blast. I am doing one in May and I haven't decided on whether or not I want to do a marathon or we have a race here that is 5 half marathons on 5 consecutive Saturdays for charity that I am interested in doing. Its not until Oct though.
  • ryblueeyes
    ryblueeyes Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I'm also training for my first half, so I don't really have a ton of advice for you. This is the training plan I'm using. It's 16 weeks long and you run 4 days/week. You can get the app to coach you, too. Best of luck during your training!

http://runkeeper.com/fitness-class/running-half-marathon/16
  • Runninglibrarian13
    Runninglibrarian13 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I definitely agree with training for further than 10, but that's just me... I had to know I could do the full distance when I trained for my first half. So one of my long runs ended up being 13.1 miles.... I went out too fast in the beginning and ran most of the first 8, then ended up doing more walking than running for the rest. But I proved to myself that I could do the distance.

(I don't know that I'll do the same thing if/when I train for a full marathon! lol)
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Must agree on training beyond 10 miles. It may not be needed but for confidence I trained up to 12.5miles (I wanted to save the full distance for event day) and I am so glad I did because I got to learn what pace I could maintain for that distance.
  • jfang86
    jfang86 Posts: 19
    Options
    I went from my max distance being about 4 miles to running a half last year. A few tips:

1) HalHigdon.com. Best online running programs out there. I followed his novice half program.

2) Add no more than 10% distance a week.

3) Make sure you are running outside as often as you can, and if you can only do it occasionally, try to make it your long run.

4) Close to race day, practice a few logistical runs on your long runs; figure out what do you like to eat before your run, when do you need to hydrate, etc etc etc.

5) Don't do ANYTHING new on race day. No new shoes. No new gels or goos or clothes.

6) If you are also strength training, make sure to space your lower body workout days so they don't interfere with your long runs. Your long runs are the most important part of your training and should not be skipped.

Edit: I trained to 12 miles, then tapered before my race. 13 miles was fine; I was only hampered by the fact that the race was mid-day and therefore way warmer than when I was used to running, in the evening.
  • miracole
    miracole Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I've run 7 half marathons (my last one yesterday!) and 2 marathons so am chock full of advice and motivation if anyone wants to add me. I am also more than willing to share my training plan which goes up to 19k.

My important tips:

1) invest in good running gear, for ladies that means excellent running bras. What "works" for short runs will quickly become intolerable as you ratchet up the miles;

2) body glide is your friend, learn to love it.

3) start experimenting with fuels to find the one that works for you by the time your long runs are 12 km.

4) never miss a long run, and try to get as many of your training runs in as possible.

5) incorporate hill work, your body will thank you.

6) make sure at least one of your long runs is at the same time of day as your race.

7) eat breakfast. EVERY DAY and especially on race day!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    2 things I was given that have always served well years ago by a trainer.

As you get closer, couple months away. Though you could do the first one right now probably.

Foot-time run.
    Should have decent idea of your pace when closer to event. Figure out how long the whole run should be. For Half divide that time by 3, for Full by 5.
    Walk 1/3 the time.
    Run better than pace 1/3 the time.
    Walk 1/3 the time.

For Full you throw an extra walk in the middle at 1/5 the time.

There, you just spent the same amount of time on your feet, and have the confidence that you can finish it no matter what. Also allows totally testing everything you plan on wearing, what you eat for breakfast and eat the day before, shoe tightness, ect. Field test everything. You can correct it and do this again since it requires probably just one recovery day.

Distance 24 hr run.
    Half 5 miles, full 7 miles.
    Pick 2 days where you can get 3 training runs in of the needed distance.
    Evening run, morning run, evening run.
    Or Morning, evening, morning.
    3 runs within 24 hrs.
    Each one at expected race pace. Add in extra warm-up and cool-down walk before and after.

There, you just did the total distance in 24 hrs running on your feet. Now you have confidence you can easily run it all. Plus it test a tad better feet movement in the shoes, ect. This does require a few days rest after doing it.

Beyond that, normal stuff others mention.
    10 mile training run with 2 mile walk before and after. Another type of feet-time run, but requires some recovery days after doing.
    Training the aerobic system for endurance more than the anaerobic system for speed. 80/20% split on your time for that.
    You can always improve the anaerobic line with aerobic exercise, but rarely improve the aerobic system with aenaerobic exercise - when you are starting out. That'll change a few years down the line.
  • PhotogirlTX
    PhotogirlTX Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Running my first HM in June as well... I just want to see the suggestions of everyone else!
  • Eightcosmo
    Options
    Never, increase your mileage over 10% / wk. I have run several races and competed in many triathlons.The excitement and running euphoria runners experience can sometimes get in the way of good judgement. Always consult trained professionals (books, magazines, runners chat rms) before making training decisions. I have found my best advice has come from experienced runners! Good Luck with your fitness goals!
  • czmmom
    czmmom Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I used marathon rookie's half marathon training as well... I wished I had done the whole 13 miles before the race. I had only done 12. I also wished that I had trained more for the elevation. My first half back in October was really hilly... by mile 10 when I hit the last hill, I remember thinking WTH!!! I will be doing another half in May. Good luck!!
  • Melissa26point2
    Melissa26point2 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    This is just my opinion and I am sure some disagree but when I ran my first half last Oct I had really wished that I had trained beyond the 10 miles that most training plans have you run. I had plenty of time to do it but I didn't. They all say a beginner can finish a half by running up to 10 miles which is true and I didn't feel too bad. But had I trained past 13.1 I would have ripped up the road like I did the first 8 miles. By mile 11 my legs were spent. I also wish that I had done more lifting both upper and lower body. The other things lots of rest eat correctly and most of all have tons of fun!! It was a blast. I am doing one in May and I haven't decided on whether or not I want to do a marathon or we have a race here that is 5 half marathons on 5 consecutive Saturdays for charity that I am interested in doing. Its not until Oct though.

I would agree with this. I was tired and sore by mile 12 and the last half mile was all uphill. I am doing my 2nd half in June and will definitely go beyond 13 during my training! Good luck and have fun
    Send me a friend request if you want. I love having running friends :)
  • mchalkey6789
    mchalkey6789 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm training for my first half too, in July! It's nice to read all these tips. I just started running a month ago and I'm up to four miles, working my way up. I can't believe how sore I am though. Does it get better as you keep running consistently?
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Yes. My advice is don't forget to lift.
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I have my first half coming up in February (Sunday the 17th).

I started training mid - late October for this distance. From Jan 1st to August last year I got to 10K (6 miles +/-).

I had planned to add 2k per month. I try and get 3 runs per week with at least one at or over my previous distance run. The other two are for pace and conditioning. My longest run to date was 18k two weeks ago. The temperatures dropped to below -20 Deg C this past week so I was not out as much as I should have been.

I will not break any time records but I am confident that I will complete the 21K. My goal is to be in the 2hr 30 min area.

Best of luck for your training and run!
  • mkingraham
    mkingraham Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • waterwing
    waterwing Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    These are great tips! I just signed up for my first one in the spring. Really excited about it!
  • Leigh_b
    Leigh_b Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I just started training for my 4th half marathon in April. I've been running for about a year and a half and have learned a lot about how to train and how not to train over the past 18 months.... I'm still learning, but it's been a fun process.

For my first 3 1/2 marathons I used the training plan at the marathonrookie.com. I really liked this training plan and I always felt very prepared on race day. My personal goals were more about running the entire distance and having a strong finish than about running at a specific pace or finishing in a certain amount of time and this plan was a good fit for my goals.

With training and consistency I got naturally faster. I finished my first race in 2 hrs 31 mins and ran my most recent race (this past October) in 2 hrs 4 mins. Now I've got my eye on a finish under 2 hours so have moved on to a more challenging training plan to help me get faster.

Take a look at my profile and add me if you think we are a good match. I always love new running friends :flowerforyou: