Natural Peanut Butter

Options
Hello, community.

On my weight loss journey, I am striving to eat clean. I purchased some natural peanut butter from the store. I was shocked when I opened the jar, though, to find a puddle of oil in the jar. Gross. :sick:

I'm assuming that where the peanut butter is natural, that the oil comes out of the tree along with the butter. Is that right? Is it safe to eat? I haven't heard of peanut tree oil. is it clean?

Replies

• jessicawrites
    jessicawrites Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    The oil is completely safe and natural. In natural peanut butter, the solid and liquid parts of the peanut butter separate during storage in the jar. Stir it in (if you don't, the peanut butter will get too stiff). It will be really goopy the first one or two times you use it--this is normal. It will still taste fine. Store it in the fridge. This will help prevent separation and thicken the texture.
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    No stir peanut butters are a product that should be right up your alley...

No guilt, no mess.
  • PatrickSwayzesGhost
    PatrickSwayzesGhost Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    The jar says no stir. I worried that stirring it would make it less healthy, since it says I shouldn't stir it.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    Turn it the other way around after using.
  • PatrickSwayzesGhost
    Options
    Label facing the back of the cupboard, or upside down?
  • DaBossLady24
    DaBossLady24 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    The oil is natural... that's why they have peanut oil sold and used.

Either purchase no stir peanut butters

OR

you can just store them on their side until you're ready to eat it... it's easier to stir that way!
  • PatrickSwayzesGhost
    Options
    That's the bonus hair product! You're supposed to use that oil on your ends so they don't get all frizzy.... and I'm glad you asked about this, because it looks like you could use some new hair products!
    Thank you for the tip! Friend request coming! Hope you don't mind.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Hello, community.

On my weight loss journey, I am striving to eat clean. I purchased some natural peanut butter from the store. I was shocked when I opened the jar, though, to find a puddle of oil in the jar. Gross. :sick:

I'm assuming that where the peanut butter is natural, that the oil comes out of the tree along with the butter. Is that right? Is it safe to eat? I haven't heard of peanut tree oil. is it clean?

28071945.jpg
  • bitsinator
    bitsinator Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    :huh:
  • angelams1019
    angelams1019 Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    lmao I'm going to assume that judging by your lovely hair style and the fact that you just said that peanut butter comes from a tree that this is a joke. :laugh:
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options

Upside down and in the fridge. The things they do to peanut butter to keep it from separating is unhealthy and results in transfats. .
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    ....oh, and peanuts don't grow on trees.
  • PatrickSwayzesGhost
    Options
    lmao I'm going to assume that judging by your lovely hair style and the fact that you just said that peanut butter comes from a tree that this is a joke. :laugh:
    I hope your rude attitude makes you feel better.

Thank you to everyone that had serious replies.
  • PatrickSwayzesGhost
    Options
    ....oh, and peanuts don't grow on trees.
    So says you. It makes no difference. It does not make you better than me.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    Peanuts actually don't grow on trees..... that's why you haven't heard of "peanut tree oil". They are a bushy plant and the peanuts (you've seen them in the shells I'm sure) grow underground.

It won't hurt to mix that oil in, PB isn't 'bad' fat(if it's an all natural peanut butter). If it worries you, make your own PB. It's not hard. Buy bulk unsalted peanuts and put them through the food processor until smooth (I usually end up adding about 1tbsp of peanut oil per batch to make it smooth). Most stores also sell fresh peanut butter out of a dispenser now too. That would be a bit fresher and not have that oil.
  • PatrickSwayzesGhost
    Options
    Peanuts actually don't grow on trees..... that's why you haven't heard of "peanut tree oil". They are a bushy plant and the peanuts (you've seen them in the shells I'm sure) grow underground.

It won't hurt to mix that oil in, PB isn't 'bad' fat. If it worries you, make your own PB. It's not hard. Buy bulk unsalted peanuts and put them through the food processor until smooth (I usually end up adding about 1tbsp of peanut oil per batch to make it smooth).
    Well, I'm sorry. We never learned about peanuts in school. I thought nuts were from trees. I'm sorry. Why does everybody have to keep bringing this up. I thought the butter was a natural product from the tree. I guess if they have to make it, it's not as "natural" as I thought. No peanut butter is natural then.
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    Why does everybody have to keep bringing this up. I thought the butter was a natural product from the tree. I guess if they have to make it, it's not as "natural" as I thought. No peanut butter is natural then.

I didn't "keep bringing it up" I was typing my reply as others posted, they just typed faster :happy: . I was trying to be helpful and explain where peanuts come from. Plenty of peanut butter is natural. As I said in my previous posts, you can buy the peanuts bulk and make your own or get it from the fresh PB dispenser in the store.

Take care and enjoy your peanut butter, it's one of my favorite foods! :flowerforyou:
  • PatrickSwayzesGhost
    Options
    Why does everybody have to keep bringing this up. I thought the butter was a natural product from the tree. I guess if they have to make it, it's not as "natural" as I thought. No peanut butter is natural then.

I didn't "keep bringing it up" I was typing my reply as others posted, they just typed faster :happy: . I was trying to be helpful and explain where peanuts come from. Plenty of peanut butter is natural. As I said in my previous posts, you can buy the peanuts bulk and make your own or get it from the fresh PB dispenser in the store.

Take care and enjoy your peanut butter, it's one of my favorite foods! :flowerforyou:
    I'm sorry. Thank you for your help.

If peanut butter is not from nature, then I would not call it nature. It is no more natural than a sandwich. People make it, not nature. This is really disappointed.
  • StephanieEmpson
    Options

Really???