College Student! NEED MOTIVATION!

Options
Hi! :)

I am in need of some serious motivation. I currently weigh 153 and I am 5'0. According to my gender (female), height (5'0), and age (19) I am overweight-obese. My goal is to be 115-120 by beginning of July. I have a hard time waking up early morning to work out before my classes and too tired to work out after a full day of classes. I did so well 2 weeks ago for an entire week. I was eating healthy and working out regularly. I lost 2 pounds in a week and a half but gave up right after that. :( Now I am having a hard time starting back. Anyone have any advice for me as to what I should do so I don't quit..how to reach my goal weight..what to eat..what not to eat..what exercises to do.. I am really tired of being overweight and not happy with what I see in the mirror.

Thanks in advance!
:)

Replies

• mains_adam25
    mains_adam25 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    hey i need motivation too so ill send u a friend request and if you need anything feel free to message me
  • Ginnytiger
    Ginnytiger Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I joined this site last week (Wednesday) and just today decided to check into the community. I saw that you're a college student who needs motivation. Don't we all?!?
    First of all, I'm only 5'2" and I have struggled with my weight since I was in my 30's. Before then, I was one of those people who could eat ANYTHING and as much as I wanted and wouldn't gain weight. The very people I despise now!! LOL!
    Anyhow, you are smart to get the weight off while you're young. Your goal is a little high, I feel. You are saying you will lose 1.5 pounds a week. You will have to be very strict with yourself. It's possible but if you already need motivation, step back a bit. Would you be happy to lose a pound a week? That might work better for you. Just sayin'.
    I know you'll have lots of work and reading to do, but there are two books that have been awesome to motivate me. One is called Cinch! by Cynthia Sass. I think she's re-done it and changed the title -- great ideas for what to eat just to be healthy. The other one is called Coach Yourself Thin by Hottinger and Scholtz. They are from Duke University and discuss how an entire health plan needs some room for imperfection. Just what I needed to hear.
    I am old enough to be your momma, maybe even your grandma! -- I'm 60 -- but I also just started a couch to 5K plan. I know you're tired when you get out of class, but believe me, a bit of exercise will make you feel so much better. I know you can do it - start out just walking with a pedometer to help you monitor your steps every day so you'll know how much you've increased each day.
    Good luck!! :smile:
  • DelicateElegance
    Options
    It's not easy, but you can do it. I'm taking five classes and working 25 hours a week. The key is time management. I have a schedule written up. I go to the gym Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday and go to yoga Sunday. I have to shower at the gym and go straight to work. Then each day I do a different classes' homework. I have to pack my entire day's worth of food basically because I'm always on the go. It's certainly not convienient. It takes planning and dedication, but it's worth it.

I suggest planning out your days so you can get the most possible time out of them, and sticking with a schedule. I understand it's a pain, I definitely do not have a type A personality and hate routine and structure, but it's necessary.
  • DamieAnne
    DamieAnne Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Hey :)

I know how you feel, being a student isn't easy at the best of times - dieting makes it harder! I'm a postgrad student, and i'm 5 foot 3. I've been up to about 14 and a half stone (203lbs!!), mainly due to excessive drinking in my first couple of undergrad years. I'm now around 166lbs, and on my way to around 140lbs...eventually :P

Here are some tips that have helped me so far:

- Walk if you can - I live 3 miles away from my university, and I walk it every day and back, if the weather permits. It seems like a lot, but i built up to it, and I really would never have lost the 20lbs i lost in the past couple of months if i hadn't.

- Get some fibre - it keeps you fuller for longer, and is generally good for your insides!

- Stay away from artificial sweetners where possible - they increase your appetite.

- Control your sugar intake - i've been really trying to keep an eye on mine - the weeks i lose the most weight are the weeks i keep at about 30g a day. it seems impossible, and generally for me (with my sweet tooth) t is, but i try :)

- Treat yourself. Say you've stuck to your goal all week, you deserve something small, just to keep spirits up. I use 'treat size' bars of chocolate

- Plan ahead - if you put in what you plan to eat the day before, you can work out what is best nutritionally wise, and you can fit things around it. I always do this, and add in a few snacks so that i've already planned them

- Remind yourself of your goal - I have post-it notes all over my kitchen reminding what i'm aiming for, and keeping track of how much i lose every week, to remind myself of how well i'm doing!

These things are pretty obvious, but they really do help!
  • moonmistmm
    moonmistmm Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Hello!
    I'm in college too, and I know what you mean about trying to fit in workouts. I try to do them on weekends...Thursday/Friday/Saturday/Sunday are when I work out the most because I'm not as busy and I have more energy. You could also try bringing your workout stuff with you from your last class and going directly to the gym after class. Or even wear your workout clothes to your last class.

Feel free to add me!
  • isolexie
    Options
    hey! i too am a college student (im about your age, about to turn 19), im a nursing student so ive learned a lot about exercise and nutrition now, plus i have two uncles that are personal trainers that ive just started learning things from. ive never been happy with my weight for awhile now and so i know what its like to need that motivation. i can help you lots and we can be weight loss buddies :) add me and message me if you wanna be my buddy!
  • fara180
    fara180 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    You really have to stop making excuses for yourself. I am the Queen of Excuses. I'm taking 21 credit hours at NC State University and I work full time and I would always tell myself that I didn't have the time, the energy, etc. But I would find myself making time to watch Jersey Shore on the sofa with a bag of chips, etc. You just have to make yourself do it!

Think of the gym as a class, and your body is the grade. If you can drag yourself to an 8 a.m. class- you can take your booty to the gym!

We're in the same boat sister.
  • lovemykids58
    lovemykids58 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    The key is time management. I work full time- go to class 4 nights a week plus an online class, I'm married and I have 2 kids (4 and 1) It may be difficult to wake up early but if that what you need to do then you need to push yourself to do it. You may want to get a grid sheet and set up times to work out along with other things like going to class, doing laundry ect. It helps show where you can make time to work out :)
  • Swtlilangl786
    Options
    loved the way you put this! thank you!! its on starting tomorrow morning! started eating healthy today!
  • Cmredden
    Cmredden Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hey Im in college too plus I work full time so I know how you feel. You have assignments or just too tired to do anything. Ive gained about 50 lbs the last 5 years and it is my mission to atleast get 35 of them off. So far in a month Ive lost 11 lbs. What helps me is my bootcamp and def this website. With the bootcamp Ive paid for it and its a "meeting" since I am very meeting / money invested I always go. When its just me I tend to talk my self out of it. Also find someone close to you that can make you accountable. I would suggest talking to a spouse or a friend.
  • cprys8942
    cprys8942 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I'm also in college and in my last semester so I know how tough it can be to try and stay healthy with all the work! I'm looking for some MFP friends in college so everyone feel free to add me(: