magnesium citrate (sorry not sure where to post this)

Options
I have been healthy eating for 1 week. my nutrtionist has put me on some gisol prebiotics, gisol liver support multivitamins and solgar magnesium citrate. i started taking these on friday. on sunday i was feeling very bloated with minor cramping. it doesnt really goaway. it eases slightly when i have a poo (tmi) but within half hour it comes straight back.

Could it just be my insides thowing a wobbler to the new foods?
Or
Could it be a side effect from the magnesium citrate or other supplements?

I have emailedmy nutritionist but just wondered if anyone knew.
Thanks

Replies

• JBuehrer1
    JBuehrer1 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    You could always ask your doctor too, instead of the nutritionist. Or cut them out for a day or two and add one at a time, maybe 3 days in between adding a new one and see if that helps, or helps you identify which is bothering you the most
  • WIChelle
    WIChelle Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Too much magnesium gets the bowels really moving and can cause cramping. . I'd cut back on how much you are taking until your body adjusts.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Magnesium citrate is a laxative. Are you about to have surgery or a colonoscopy? If not, ask your nutritionist why she has put you on it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnesium_citrate
  • sharonmunday90
    sharonmunday90 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Magnesium citrate is a laxative. Are you about to have surgery or a colonoscopy? If not, ask your nutritionist why she has put you on it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnesium_citrate

in my supplement summary she stated:

Energy production
    Improve relaxtion/sleep
    Regulate bowel movement

i have very sluggish tummy/bowel etc. i think thats why she put me on them.
  • spud_chick
    spud_chick Posts: 2,639 Member
    Options
    Ok, I've been reading up the last few days for my own purposes on magnesium, so I'm chiming in.

*Excess* magnesium in the body goes out through the bowel and can cause loose stools, and as such is often used in higher doses as a laxative; Milk of Magnesia is magnesium oxide, but as Richard points out other forms are used too. Magnesium citrate is supposed to be more absorbable and thus less likely to cause distress. Moderate doses should not cause distress but may increase bowel movements.

Magnesium might be one of those widespread but little-known deficiencies, like D3. Your multivitamin probably doesn't provide enough. I found this article very useful; this expert recommends magnesium to calcium at a 2:1 ratio, which is not commonly suggested, and to get calcium early in the day and magnesium at night. I found this very interesting since like most women over 40 I've been breaking my neck to get calcium, but was not aware of how magnesium fit into the picture. It's not mentioned in this article, but calcium can be very binding and without proper magnesium that can create real problems.

http://blog.seattlepi.com/naturalnotes/2009/09/01/magnesium-and-calcium-arent-always-the-best-of-friends/

I've had symptoms of magnesium deficiency for years; sluggish bowel, NOT improved by diet and exercise (I've always eaten lots of vegetable fiber), poor nails/hair/skin, poor sleep, anxiety, fatigue, etc. I'm surprised my doc didn't suggest this but then again I'm not. I've been taking a single dose of mag oxide at night for three days now and my sleep improved immediately, as well as the lower GI issues. Someone who is not deficient might not have as dramatic an effect, but it feels like my body's been crying out for it, maybe because I've been extra calcium-conscious since tracking my food here. I'll be trying a more assimilable form like the Solgar for the long term, and am also trying to keep the dairy products earlier in the day.

Anyway, magnesium may not be the source of your distress. I wasn't sure if you meant to type prebiotics or probiotics, but I noticed that when I took a probiotic that included prebiotics, I had the kind of distress you describe, which went away when I switched to a probiotic without the added prebiotic. Maybe ask her if you can try eliminating that for a couple of days as a test. Good luck with your new program, hope you're feeling great soon!
  • sharonmunday90
    Options
    Ahh thankyou. What she has given me is gisol sacchatlromyces boulardii.

My supplemets are. the gisol sacc etx 1 capsule twice per day
    nutri gisol liver support multivitamin/mineral form fo general liver support 1 capsule twice per day
    solgar magnesium citrate 200mg twice per day.

I have cut the gisol sacc and the magnesium to 1 per day in the morning.
  • spud_chick
    spud_chick Posts: 2,639 Member
    Options
    Even if you want to reduce the magnesium, I'd really suggest taking it at night instead of the morning, based only on my own experience. It's mildly relaxing and sedative, which you don't want in the morning, and is less likely to compete with calcium if you're taking it at bedtime. Just my 2 bits, you can always ask your nutritionist about changing your program.
  • sharonmunday90
    Options
    Even if you want to reduce the magnesium, I'd really suggest taking it at night instead of the morning, based only on my own experience. It's mildly relaxing and sedative, which you don't want in the morning, and is less likely to compete with calcium if you're taking it at bedtime. Just my 2 bits, you can always ask your nutritionist about changing your program.

Thankyou. i have a phone call with her later as im feeling a bit light headed and fragile lol
  • sharonmunday90
    Options

Thankyou. i have a phone call with her later as im feeling a bit light headed and fragile lol
  • Keto_T
    Keto_T Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I take the magnesium citrate too. Take one every other day, then one a day, then whatever your nutritionist recommended for you. You have to work up.
  • sharonmunday90
    Options
    I take the magnesium citrate too. Take one every other day, then one a day, then whatever your nutritionist recommended for you. You have to work up.

ah ok. i had been taking 2 per day and today i only took one this morning but i still feel spacey. thankyou. at least i havecsome questions for her now x
  • itgeekwoman
    itgeekwoman Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I have the magnesium every day.. at night before bed. It helps balance my hormones and allows me to relax and sleep better.Also it helps with bowel and colon health. (yes it helps me poop)

I've been taking it nightly for the past 12 months. I've missed days here and there, but feel bloated and uncomfortable when I don't take it. Everything works normally when I don't take it.. which means I don't have to, but I feel better when I do.

The trick is that I take it at bedtime and I take mine as a hot drink. Natural Calm Raspberry Lemon - 1.5 tsp nightly :) I love it!
    Good luck