Coconut Oil

Options
Does anyone have any thoughts on Coconut Oil? I bought some (before looking at the calorie content) to add to my smoothies and shakes. The health benefits are supposed to be great and supposedly due to the high amounts of Lauric Acid it's supposed to help boost your metabolism and help with weight loss. But at 117 calories and 14g (12g of which are saturated) per TBSP, I'm wondering if it's really something I want to add in.

Replies

• jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    I don't know that it helps that much with weight loss. But it is good for you and adding it to your shakes and smoothies might help you feel fuller longer (fats are satiating) helping you control your overall calorie intake.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Add it in if you like it. There are a lot of claims being thrown around about it as the new "miracle food" It is a pure fat and therefor very high in calories. If you meet your calorie goal while using it, you'll still lose weight.

That being said. I started using it because I love the smell and taste of coconut. I use it sparingly, just like I would any other cooking fat because my goal is to fill my diet mostly with nutrient dense foods.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    You boost your metabolism by increasing your lean body mass, not by eating fat. Your body needs fats and if you can afford it in your calories, go ahead but don't expect any miracles to happen.
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    I bought a small tube of it awhile ago and still have most of it.
    I don't really care for the smell but if I have oatmeal sometimes I will put about the size of my thumb nail in it and melt in the hot water... can't really taste it... does nothing really....
    Would I buy it again... nope!
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    it also raises your HDL (good cholesterol) without affecting your LDL (bad cholesterol)

it's really one of the better cooking oils out there, if not the best. I eat 1 or 2 tablespoons every day
  • susie234
    Options
    I cook with it, like making a chicken/vegetable stir fry. It's nice variety if nothing else...
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I use it to replace bad oils like canola, corn or safflower. It works well in baked goods as well as for stir fry. I never thought of using it in a smoothie as I don't usually add oils to my smoothie.
  • buildingdreams
    buildingdreams Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    People with Thyroid issues use it . Saturated fats are needed by the body and it help with the medications for hypothyroid. U cant lose weight on no fat in your diet
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I like it a lot. Way better for you than butter, margarine, or other cooking oils. Just remember that you should use it in place of other oils/butter, not in addition to; unless of course you find yourself waaay below your daily calorie intake, or are a hard gainer.
  • linbert57
    linbert57 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I use it every day - best fat for you. I joined 12/31/12 and I've lost every week.
  • moniquedeanne
    moniquedeanne Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I cook with it and use it in my smoothies. It's calorie content is no higher than that of an equal amount of olive oil.
  • EricCowperthwaite
    Options
    Coconut oil is a key food item in Paleo/Primal/Low Carb diets since they emphasize fats for energy rather than carbs. As others noted, it helps with HDL, without contributing to LDL. It's almost pure saturated fat, so it's great for energy (if you are in a low carb/high fat diet). Most oils sold in grocery stores are primarily made up of long chain triglycerides (LCT oil) which the body cannot easily break down in to energy. LCT's end up getting stored in your fat cells, especially if you are on a traditional or low fat diet. Coconut oil is primarily made up of medium chain triglycerides (MCT) which the body can metabolize much easier.

So, quick cheat sheet.

1. Substitute coconut oil for canola oil on any diet - GOOD
    2. Use lots of coconut oil on low carb type diets - GOOD
    3. Contributes to HDL, helps with energy from fat

Hope that helps