Just lost...

Options
I am feeling very discouraged. I didn't lose any weight for 3 weeks, and this last week I half-heartedly followed my plan. Until Saturday evening I decided I had enough and ate what ever I wanted. I have some tremendous stress going on in my life, and I guess eating ended up being a way to deal with it. Sunday I felt better, but was still over my calorie count. Usually that will bug me until I go out and burn off the excess. Today I feel the stress choking me, and I already ate most of my calorie allowance. I don't want to give up. I don't want to give in anymore and screw up what I have already been working on for the last 5 months. This is the longest I have ever stuck with anything to help me lose weight. I guess I am feeling lost, and tired. I would like to think this feeling will pass if I stick it out, but how long will it take? Just lost....

Replies

• StephCoff1969
    Options
    I wrote this on your wall, but I will repeat myself......

Hun, I have been where you are at many times... I finally realized that giving up was not an option... 1. I didn't gain this fat *kitten* over night, so I can't expect it to be gone overnight.. 2. I want to be as healthy as possible for ME... 3. I have amazing people in my life and by not being the best person I can be I am cheating myself and them... I know that it is frustrating and sometimes over whelming, but you can do this... You are an amazing woman who cares about others... Start caring for yourself... I ♥ you and need you in my life....
  • mhk0719
    mhk0719 Posts: 255
    Options
    I understand! I have not lost any lbs for a couple of weeks. Sigh. I usually have 3 out of the 7 days a week where I go over. :( I am though not giving up! Don't you give up either! The weight loss journey is a long HARD road - but we can do it!!
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I hate to say this, but if you "almost" stick to it, you'll "almost" lose weight. Where does that get you? You have to take this experience and build on it. There is only ONE thing you need to do to make this work: stick to your calorie target every day. At least for a time... every day. 3 weeks isn't enough.

Now, if you track every single bite, lick and taste you consume for a full 3 weeks - measured/weighed and honestly everything - and you still haven't lost weight after 3 more weeks, it's time to find out why. But I think this is an issue of compliance.

Don't try and change everything all at once. There are things you can do to make living in a calorie deficit easier...

Choose protein at each meal/snack
    Choose higher fiber foods where possible
    Eat lots of veggies and fruits
    Eat full fat foods (avoid sugar-free/fat-free/non-foods)
    Cut down on fatty extras/condiments (butter, mayo, dressings, gravy)
    Eat less fast food since it won't be satisfying and is high in calories
    Exercise to earn more calories to eat
    Drink lots of water
    Get lots of sleep

Having said that, just focus on your calorie target. It isn't more complicated than that, but you MUST want it. You have to want it more than you want anything else.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Go take a walk. It helps with stress and lets you feel more in control. Give yourself a peaceful moment to figure out your priorities and re-focus.

Best of luck.
  • AngelsheriHackley
    AngelsheriHackley Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Your probably not losing because your stressed and that can stall weight loss, try to meditate and pray watch your intake of sodium too and be sure your eating enough food. Don't try to eat under your calorie goal but sure to workout 5 days per week and drink enough water. Hang in there we all go through this in the struggle to get healthy.,, God bless you
  • aaleigha1
    aaleigha1 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    if you really cant stick to the food plan at this time
    set your calories to maintainance and give yourself a week off with no stress then set for your one pound a week loss and go from there
  • SarahxLiz88
    Options
    I'm so sorry to hear that you're having a hard time. Try and keep your eyes on the prize! Remember how you felt 16 pounds ago? Remember how much hard work you put in to get to where you are now? Remember how good it felt to step on that scale and see 16 pounds down!? Hold on to those feelings and think of how good it will feel to step on that scale and see 20 pounds down. Try to mix up your workout routine by trying dance classes, yoga, or rock climbing. Bob Harper always says that when you feel like you've hit a plateau, do your normal routine backwards, instead of starting with cardio end with cardio, etc. Just remember how amazing it felt to get to where you are now and think of how amazing it will feel to break that 3 week plateau! You're doing an amazing job! Keep at it!
  • iampanda
    iampanda Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind your long-term goals. Focus on the big picture. A few unhealthy choices are not going to ruin the progress you have made, so don't add to your stress by beating yourself up and throwing in the towel. Take a deep breath, and try to channel that stress somewhere else. Go for a walk, take a hot bath and read a good book. Say "no" if people are piling stuff on you. It's ok to say no. Take time for yourself- regroup, write out your goals, and look how far you have come. Throw out the "junk" foods, and stock up on food that will give you energy and thus improve your mood..... We all go through this, and you aren't alone. You are going to find that this journey to health and fitness isn't just physical- its emotional and mental, too. You can do it.
  • harvo
    harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
    Options
    Honey, I have officiated 26 games in the last 14 days and I have not lost a single pound but I know I must stay the course. My pants feel bigger on me. maybe take measurements and concentrate on size differences, being able to do more without breathing hard etc. Weight is not the only measurement for fitness or getting healthy..Lots of luck...
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    One day at a time. Eat right and get some exercise, the rest will take care of itself.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    A friend posted this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX9FSZJu448 Watch it. Very inspirational.
  • Akumu
    Akumu Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I think you may need to evaluate what you are eating. I didn't go too far back but there seems to be a lot of processed foods, simple carbs, etc. Wendy's, Taco Bell, muffins, waffles, while okay to have sometimes, aren't going to give you the proper nutrition and help you to feel full when eaten on a regular basis. I would try to plan each meal to have a good combo of protein and carbs, include a fruit or veggie at most meals, and drink a lot of water. Hope this helps.
  • lovelillies
    Options
    Don't get too disheartened. I agree with everything that everyone has just posted. Food isn't the solution, in excess, it causes more heartache. Find something else to fill your mind and soul - a great film, good book, phone a good mate - anything that fulfils, not fills, you. Much luck and happiness.:flowerforyou:
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Sadly 3 weeks isn't long enough to see much of a difference, and often when just starting a new diet/exercise plan, people will initially gain as their bodies adjust. It's important if you're going to do this that you do it right. There is a lot of conflicting opinions on these forums. I recommend you check out this group:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/10067-eat-train-progress-

Read all the forums with red stickies. It's a great place to start with lots of information from MFP's most knowledgeable members. If you have questions, you can join the group. They are very welcoming, nonjudgmental, no BS. Just real answers to your questions.

But whatever you do, DON'T GIVE UP! We all fall once in while, it's inevitable. Just get back up and start again.
  • khummel1966
    khummel1966 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Don't give up. This is a journey and like on any other journey, sometimes we do get lost. I know that it is sometimes so hard to do this, especially with outside influences affecting our determination and resolve. You can do this girl!!!!!!! We all have your back. If you ever need someone to talk to, feel free to add me. I have days like you have been experiencing too. They suck big time but you can get through this - trust me.
  • sixpackdream
    sixpackdream Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    First, the 16 lbs lost is awesome!

Second, Fight!!! It's easy to give in and give up. Every time you feel like giving up, think about the slim you and feel that wonderful feeling in your body and ask if that is what you really want.

When you say it's the first thing you have ever stuck to, it sounds like you are prepared to fail. Smarten the hell up ;) and realize that there are lots of things that you have succeeded at in your life. If you are on MFP I am betting that you are not in an alley somewhere strung out on something.

It's so cliche, but this is your new way of living, it is not a diet. Forget about the numbers, just enter your food honestly, reach your calorie goals and the weight will take care of itself.

Now fight for the life you deserve!
  • jst1986
    jst1986 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    set your calories to maintainance and give yourself a week off with no stress then set for your one pound a week loss and go from there

I completely agree with this!
  • preaser
    preaser Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Hang in there. I agree with taking measurements. I saw results there first.
    Remember if it was that easy none of us would need this website---and look how many people use it!
    Good Luck!
  • pianolover2012
    pianolover2012 Posts: 168 Member
    Options

^^^^ good idea!
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    You need to be in this for life if it's going to "take". Life has good times, and not so good times. Is your current stress something with an end-point? Or are you completely overwhelmed and don't see the situation changing? If it's the former, give yourself a break and ride it out. Set yourself to maintenance and give yourself a break. It takes some mental strength to constantly make good choices-if your life is beyond crazy-it's very reasonable to assume your mental strength is already occupied elsewhere. If you're completely overwhelmed and don't see any "end" in sight, then you'll need to find a way to cope with some of that stress or you're going to end up in a bad place emotionally (forget about the weight loss).

Once your life is back in check, or whenever you have the mental "space" to commit to focusing on diet & exercise, do it!

PS-exercise is a fantastic stress reliever. Could help on both fronts-but that's your choice of course.