God!! AKA Hendrix
    Iommi, he gave birth to heavy metal
    Angus Young
    Mustaine
    Dimebag
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Yeah I got to see DT up on the barrier in Madison Square Garden when they opened for Iron Maiden. That was amazing.
  • sassypants0923
    sassypants0923 Posts: 7,188 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg
  • LeGaCyGiAnT124
    LeGaCyGiAnT124 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    John Petrucci from Dream Theater

yup. 90% of the names in this thread aren't even close to this guy's skill level

agreed. I've seen Dream Theater a few times in concert. Absolutely incredible.

Yes. He is an animal!!

Some others that I really enjoy are Oli Herbert from All That Remains, Adam Dutkiewicz from Killswitch Engage, and Paul Waggoner from Between The Buried and Me.
  • IronMikeFox
    Options
    John Petrucci from Dream Theater

yup. 90% of the names in this thread aren't even close to this guy's skill level

<<sigh>> I hate it when people do this to a "favorite <<insert category of choice>>" discussion. Favorite does not, in any way, imply best or most technical or anything else along those lines. A quick look at today's music charts clearly shows that most people's musical preferences are not determined in a void by the technical proficiency of the musician. Personally, I have some favorites that are favorites because of their technical skill and other favorites that are favorites because I just plain like their sound and like the way their music makes me feel.

Sorry for my over-reaction. I tend to get fired up about comments that denigrate other people's favorite musicians because of some past experiences with "music snobs". LOL
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I also really like Dave Murray of Iron Maiden. Seeing him play live just blows me away. He's not super-proficient, though he is very good. He has a certain style.. it sounds like the notes are just falling off the guitar. It's very smooth and it really pulls together the band's whole sound. And he can shred when he needs to.
  • Angus Young \m/

Edit: Randy Rhodes, Tony Iommi

ANGUS YOUNG aka Guitar God. No seriously, Angus is my favorite, but there's a few more.
  • IronMikeFox
    Options
    I forgot to add Jake E Lee. I LOVE his work in Badlands! I wish they had more records.
  • clb105
    clb105 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Not in any order (and it wasn't said what type of guitar)...

The Edge
    Flea
    Phil Collen (Def Leppard)
    Eddie Van Halen
    Matthew Bellamy & Christopher Wolstenholme (Muse)
    John Taylor - (and just because he's Gorgeous) ;)

There's more but those are some of my faves!!
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Les Claypool
    Jimi Hendrix
  • BigBrunette
    BigBrunette Posts: 1,543 Member
    Options
    Adam Jones
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    I love a good bassist...Jason Newsted is one of my favorites.
  • debbiesweety
    Options
    Prince. He is my favorite everything
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    Carlos Santana.
  • BanalAppeal
    BanalAppeal Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Rory Gallagher. He was truly amazing.
  • tlcarolinagirl
    tlcarolinagirl Posts: 1,700 Member
    Options
    Right now-Synyster Gates...of all time-Hendrix
  • Rosie_McA
    Rosie_McA Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    In honor of Eddie Van Halen's birthday (my personal fave) list your fave player and a song or two or three on your personal fave.

See, I'm all grow'd up now. Not trying to start an argument, music is subjective. That is unless you disagree with me, then you're just wrong (i keed, I keed)
    Got to be Eddie, though Gary Moore was pretty awesome. Real shame he's no longer with us.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg
    :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :blushing:
  • sassypants0923
    sassypants0923 Posts: 7,188 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg
    :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :blushing:

Oh hi :)
    He's my favorite singer too :)
  • LoreleiEvil
    LoreleiEvil Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Joe Bonamassa