Bmr tdee confusion...

Options
Help, I'm confused!

My bmr is c2400, my tdee is 3200 and Mfp has me at 1800 a day. I'm 6'2"" and 263lbs so far I'm down 14lb since jan 1st but most of that was in the first two weeks.

I also cycle a lot, generally 100+ miles a week which isn't included in my tdee.

So, having read the roadmap I think I need to be eating more, generally greater than my bmr of 2400. Is that right or do I just not understand it? Can anyone help explain what I should be eating?

Sorry if this has been asked before.

Replies

• RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    You should be eating TDEE - 20%. You should also base your activity level with all your exercise included.Your body isnt getting the nutrition it needs eating below BMR. If you choose to use MFP you need to be eating your exercise calories back. However, I'd recommend using TDEE I think its a much more sensible way to go.

Your numbers also look about right. I am 6"0 and 220 and I'm just below you as I should be.
  • Ploogy
    Ploogy Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I bet you have it set to lose 1.5 or 2 lbs a week, right?
  • cambtrip
    Options
    So I should be eating 2600 calories and eating bak another 5000 a week for the cycling? That cant be right? Surely thats too much?
  • cambtrip
    Options
    Yep
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    TDEE should include ALL activity, including your cycling. Then take a % cut. 20% off is an acceptable healthy amount.
  • RunDoozer
    Options
    So I should be eating 2600 calories and eating bak another 5000 a week for the cycling? That cant be right? Surely thats too much?

No pick your activity level light moderate active and that will give you your TDEE. You need to include your cycling when youre picking that level. Then subtract 20%. Do not eat back your exercise calories with TDEE it is already calculated in.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Don't confuse the MFP method and TDEE method. MFP method is designed to eat back calories; with the TDEE method, you estimate those in your selected activity level.
  • cambtrip
    Options
    Ah, ok. So factoring in 6 hours on the bike my tdee is More like 3900, less 20% is 3100 a day! Which seems very high
  • emills1970
    emills1970 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    bump
  • RunDoozer
    Options
    Ah, ok. So factoring in 6 hours on the bike my tdee is More like 3900, less 20% is 3100 a day! Which seems very high

I know it "seems" high but it's not. Your're a big guy doing a lot of exercise your body needs fuel. That deficit of 800 a day will end up being 5700 calories a week. Which is about 1.5 pounds a week lost. I say give it about a month and re adjust from there.
  • shelbysp8
    shelbysp8 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Here is a great link that explains it and helps with ANY confusion that you have. I found it and my husband & I have both been using it.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12: :huh:
  • cambtrip
    Options
    Rundoozer - thanks fo taking time to explain. Really appreciate it. Thinking about it, I think it makes sense. I I used Mfp and at he calories burned bu spread over the week that would be 1000 extra per day or 2800 which is close to the numbers tdee gives me.

I guess I'll be eating a lot more now!
  • lepanto
    lepanto Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I, too, am a little confused. My BMR is 1607. I have been using the sedentary number (1.2) to multiply with my BMR 1607 (I am recovering from some injuries), and that makes my TDEE 1928. If I subtract 20% from my TDEE 1928, it puts me at 1542 calories. To lose weight, I believe that is what I am supposed to be at. My question is, I thought I wasn't supposed to eat under my BMR number? Should I just split the difference between my BMR and TDEE until I can up my exercise? Thanks for the help!
  • RunDoozer
    Options
    I, too, am a little confused. My BMR is 1607. I have been using the sedentary number (1.2) to multiply with my BMR 1607 (I am recovering from some injuries), and that makes my TDEE 1928. If I subtract 20% from my TDEE 1928, it puts me at 1542 calories. To lose weight, I believe that is what I am supposed to be at. My question is, I thought I wasn't supposed to eat under my BMR number? Should I just split the difference between my BMR and TDEE until I can up my exercise? Thanks for the help!

Which calculator are you using? and how tall how much do you weigh?
  • lepanto
    lepanto Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I did the Road Map 2.0 recommendation from the forums here... I'm 5'5, 193 lbs.
  • RunDoozer
    Options
    Yeah in these cases I'd split the difference and probably eat 1750 to start and adjust from there
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    Don't confuse the MFP method and TDEE method. MFP method is designed to eat back calories; with the TDEE method, you estimate those in your selected activity level.

this just cleared a couple of things up for me, thanks. I was wondering how and why people using MFP by choice were hardcore advocating a different system.

MFP gives me 1370, my BMR is around 1800, my TDEE around 500.

I push it to make 1370 some days, on excercise days I can manage 1600-1700. So it's best to goal 1800 but not eat excercise calories back, or if I do, keep it under 2000 which is TDEE less 20%?
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    The TDEE shouldn't be much higher than BMR if the only reason you get out of bed is to go to the bathroom & shower right?
  • RunDoozer
    Options
    The TDEE shouldn't be much higher than BMR if the only reason you get out of bed is to go to the bathroom & shower right?

Right that's why subtracting 20% will put you below Bmr
  • RunDoozer
    Options

this just cleared a couple of things up for me, thanks. I was wondering how and why people using MFP by choice were hardcore advocating a different system.

MFP gives me 1370, my BMR is around 1800, my TDEE around 500.

I push it to make 1370 some days, on excercise days I can manage 1600-1700. So it's best to goal 1800 but not eat excercise calories back, or if I do, keep it under 2000 which is TDEE less 20%?

Yes tdee is designed so you don't eat calories back it is already calculated into your activity level. So eat your tdee - 20% for a month and then reevaluate from there don't freak out if you gain a couple pounds at first your body just has to adjust at first to the caloric increase but you should then start losing which is why I say stick to it for a month