Planet Fitness

Options
2»

Replies

• jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options

WTF is a lunk alarm?

It's what they set off if you actually try to lift real weights.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    LOVE it there......... I go every weekday it is the best!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Whoa, they really have a lunk alarm? (I had to look that up on Urban Dictionary). That's really crazy! What do they set the alarm off for usually? I'm not judging Planet Fitness, I just want to understand this lunk alarm.
  • rlp5711
    rlp5711 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Anyone can press the alarm if they feel a member is grunting too much, slamming weights, things along that line.
  • Gimpdogg
    Gimpdogg Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    My Planet Fitness opened April 2nd I started working out there the day it opened. I freaking love it I have lost 106 pounds. People are awesome and they make you feel welcome. If there is any drawback the cheap price does lend itself to some overcrowding issues but other than that its spectacular.
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Whoa, they really have a lunk alarm? (I had to look that up on Urban Dictionary). That's really crazy! What do they set the alarm off for usually? I'm not judging Planet Fitness, I just want to understand this lunk alarm.
    Apparently if you do anything that catches the attention of the staff then it sounds, in my case I was breathing a little too loudly.
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    ]Apparently if you do anything that catches the attention of the staff then it sounds, in my case I was breathing a little too loudly.

Dude, I'm guessing from your profile pic that you were on the radar the minute you walked in the door.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    ]Apparently if you do anything that catches the attention of the staff then it sounds, in my case I was breathing a little too loudly.

Dude, I'm guessing from your profile pic that you were on the radar the minute you walked in the door.

He probably was. It's the only gym I've ever seen where high physical achievement is targeted for an obnoxious punishment. For being a "judgment free zone", they certainly have no problem demonizing anyone who isn't at or below the threshold for being mediocre.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    Anyone can press the alarm if they feel a member is grunting too much, slamming weights, things along that line.

Wow! And is this also true? Can anyone press it? Or just the staff?
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

To my knowledge, it is only the staff. That being said, it gets set off for the most silly **** (even relatively speaking), so I doubt it would make much difference even if anyone could hit it. In fact, it would probably get sounded less if only the members could use it, because no matter who committed the 'offense', everyone gets punished by that ear splitting crap.
  • Bigbobhatley
    Bigbobhatley Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I went to Planet Fitness last year, the guy walked me and I asked if I could try it out for 2 day to make sure I would like it and he tlod me they don't do that because thier busy enough. So I went and joined Fit Works.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options

To my knowledge, it is only the staff. That being said, it gets set off for the most silly **** (even relatively speaking), so I doubt it would make much difference even if anyone could hit it. In fact, it would probably get sounded less if only the members could use it, because no matter who committed the 'offense', everyone gets punished by that ear splitting crap.

Yeah, that's just terrible!!

Thanks everyone, for answering my questions!
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options

He probably was. It's the only gym I've ever seen where high physical achievement is targeted for an obnoxious punishment. For being a "judgment free zone", they certainly have no problem demonizing anyone who isn't at or below the threshold for being mediocre.

^^^ THIS is exactly why I would never join a Planet Fitness.
  • Gracerrr
    Gracerrr Posts: 141
    Options
    I love PF. How can you beat $99 for an entire year membership? No fees and it's 1/4 mile from my house to boot! :P
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    I use planet fitness because it fits into my budget and I have one 5 minutes from my apartment and one that I drive right pass on my way to work. I've never heard the lunk alarm go off in the 2 years that I have been a member. It has everything I need in it. Many of the people there who are "ripped" are actually pretty helpful and will spot me if I ask them.. could be because I becoming more of a regular.. but who knows.