Teach me please.....

jbuffan218
jbuffan218 Posts: 275 Member
edited September 20 in Food and Nutrition
I have been eating Tilapia about twice a week, can someone tell me how you cook it?

I only know how to pan fry in butter, sprinkled with dill weed, 3 minutes per side , splash with lemon jiuce. Very yummy but I hate having to count all those butter calories and would like to try it another way.

I am sure I could bake it or maybe broil it? But it is soooo thin I have no idea how long or anything else about it?

Thank you for any and all suggestions.

Replies

• msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    go to www.papayahead.com they have recipes for EVERYTHING!! The site's amazing!

Hope that helps!
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Use the butter spritz. You get all the flavor of butter and none of the calories! That's what I use :smile:
  • SugarHi
    SugarHi Posts: 452
    I grill mine. I place the fish in tinfoil add the herbs and lemon and lime flavorings I want, add mushrooms, onions and snow pea pods and grill it. You can use the tin foil method in the over as well. That will reduce all the butter calories. :flowerforyou:
  • SimonACousins
    SimonACousins Posts: 15 Member
    Found this a few months ago... http://ag.arizona.edu/azaqua/ista/recipes.htm
  • YogaRunner
    YogaRunner Posts: 652 Member
    I use my slow cooker and make packages of tilapia topped with pesto and a little bit of grated parmesan. Put as many packets in the cooker as you want or can fit, set on low for 2-3 hours. It comes out very moist and you can use frozen or fresh fish. Sometimes I use flounder instead YUM!
  • bksteve26
    bksteve26 Posts: 216 Member
    I just put a little bit of olive oil in the bottom of a baking dish...put seasoning on both sides (they have these 4 in 1 seasoning shakers made just for fish that can give each meal a different spin...Dean Jacobs makes them but I dont know where you can get them...I get mine in lake geneva)...then I just bake them until they flake. Add a little lemon and BAM! Super easy...Super good!
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    I just wrap it in tin foil with fresh squeezed lemon and crushed garlic, then cook till the fish is done. Tin foil wrap keeps the lemon juice in and it's plenty moist. You don't need any other liquid or butter. One of my favorite easy recipes.
  • jbuffan218
    jbuffan218 Posts: 275 Member
    Wow !
    Thank you , this is exactly what I was looking for. And so quickly !
    Having fish tomorrow for dinner and will definately use one of your suggestions.
    And thanks for the websites , I am going there now.
    I knew my fellow MFPeers would come through :bigsmile:
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Replace your butter w/ water, reduce your heat to about a low-medium, cook a few min on one side (but not completely), flip and cook the other side completely, flip again add your seasonings to the top and cook the last few minutes to let the flavors soak in and finish cooking all the way. No extra butter calories and it still is moist and flavorful.
This discussion has been closed.