Treadmill dedicated 15 amp circuit

Options
I didn't do my homework and bought a horizon treadmill. The neighbor kids and I drug the box into my bedroom and I proceeded to put it together. *I had an old proform there previously* Sigh..it keeps tripping the circuit breaker as soon as I turn the belt on. We live in a new home, and my neighbor had the same problem and put her's in the garage...I don't want it out there..Sigh..do I drag it back to the sporting good store, is there something else I can do ? Any advice would be appreciated.

Replies

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Certain treadmills require more power. You either need to move the treadmill to an area where there is little or nothing else on the circuit, call an electrician and see if there if enough capacity in your circuit box to add another dedicated circuit to the outlet where you want to plug in the treadmill, or take it back.
  • FutureFormerFatGurl
    Options
    Thanks for the helpful advice...After much searching, I finally called the manufacturer, Horizon. An hour later I learned that my home is wired to our town's code which is AFCI and their treadmills draw so much power initially that the circuit thinks there has been an arc and shuts down...I was told that Horizon treadmills aren't compatable with Arc Fault Circuit Interupting wiring...Sigh..I wish it said something on the box at least I would have researched before dragging it home, in, putting it together...whining...and wasting my time...
  • 67Vert
    67Vert Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Don't do this. But if it were me, I'd just replace the AFCI breaker with traditional one.
  • FutureFormerFatGurl
    Options
    Is it as simple as pulling out the old AFCI circuit and changing it out with a new one? Of course this is not something I would do ..but if I were..would that be all?