Roctane Gu

Options
Has anyone ever used Roctane Gu and had issues? I am training for a half marathon, and used one Roctane Gu during my 12 mile run yesterday. I was fine during the run, but shortly after I started having stomach cramps that continued to get worse. I felt like I had food poisoning or a virus. I did not throw up, but I had severe stomach pain and upset stomach. It has lasted for about 24 hours. Can't decide if I want to risk using that next weekend for my half. I am thinking NOT. I have used the regular Gu a couple of times without problems.

Replies

• conchita962
    conchita962 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I have tried it....gu and gartorade upset my stomach too. They have too much sugar and it gave me GI issues. I now use GU Brew for hydration and Hammergel which has much less sugar. Made a WORLD of difference!!!
  • Rhonnie
    Rhonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I can't help ya... just the 12 mile run would have made me feel all those things. :)
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I say you're best off avoiding it for this race unless you want to try some again between now and then, even if you don't need it for a run. If you have no bad reaction then you might give it a try. I looked at their website to see the difference between the Rocktane and regular Gu and this is what they have to say:
    We start with original GU's superior mix of complex and simple carbohydrates that provide quick and sustained energy, electrolytes for replenishment and caffeine to tap more power and diminish pain.

From there we increase the amount of histidine, an essential amino acid, to act as a buffer and slow the energy-sapping acid build-up in muscles. We also add more of the branched chain amino acids (BCAAs) leucine, valine and isoleucine to serve as another fuel source, aid in recovery and help maintain mental focus and reduce fatigue by limiting the central nervous system's production of serotonin.

Finally, we add a new ingredient, the amino acid complex Ornithine Alpha-Ketoglutarate (OKG) which limits the body's tendency to break down muscle protein tissue during extremely hard training and racing days. OKG keeps you going longer and promotes a speedier recovery.
    I personally try to avoid caffeine when I'm running, I don't need it and don't want it to upset things. If you've had good luck with the regular Gu during your training runs you may just want to stick with that until you've had a chance to give the Rocktane another try.
  • josh0403
    josh0403 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have used Roctane before – no issues. However, I have had “distress” during halfs/fulls when I use too much (hey – they’re just giving the stuff away during the race!).
    Any effects of the GU certainly wouldn’t last 24 hours. You know what would though? Regular old run-of-the-mill food poisoning, which you could have contracted from the GU, from breakfast, from supper the night before, or even lunch the day before (depending on the bacteria and how fast or slow it reproduces).

I will say I’ve never felt Roctane was any different than regular GU. I prefer Hammergel because it’s easier to swallow (no jokes, please!) – specifically Apple Cinnamon flavor. Or lately, Honey Stinger brand gummies which I can ration out over miles rather than one hard shot.

A good friend of mine has used Skittles too – carbs are carbs right?
  • juliec33
    juliec33 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I've never tried the Rocktane but one of my best running buddies used it during her first half marathon - they were giving it away at a water stop. She got horribly sick from it - regular Gu doesn't bother her. Not sure what the difference is but it could be the high level of caffeine in the Roctane?