Boot Camp, Weight Lifting & rest days

Options
I bought the book NROLFW and have read through it. I want to start with phase 1 but I am not sure how to work it into my present routine. Right now I go to boot camp three days a week (Mon, Wed, Fri). This is non-negotiable. We do some interval training such as AMRAPs, Tabata, EMOTM, etc which sometimes includes 15-25lb kettlebells at the most for weight, but is more body weight exercises and some cardio.

If I want to do three days of NROLFW should I do it on the same days as boot camp, alternating days, or...? Want to make sure I have enough recovery time. I will also be doing a cardio kickboxing class hopefully two days a week.

Replies

• beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    If you're serious about lifting - you're doing too much cardio. You need rest days. Most likely if you continue working out that much and then add heavy lifting you will stall and crash.

Good luck. Sometimes more is NOT better. :flowerforyou:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    If you're serious about lifting - you're doing too much cardio. You need rest days. Most likely if you continue working out that much and then add heavy lifting you will stall and crash.

I agree with this; there is most definitely a thing called over training. Also, when you train like that, you have to be able to fuel that training...very difficult for many.
  • jonesin_am
    jonesin_am Posts: 404 Member
    Options

Well that's what I am trying to figure out. I don't want to quit bootcamp which is a combination of strength and cardio (more strength than cardio but mostly bodyweight exercises).

Maybe I shouldn't add on the cardio kickboxing but want to try it out and thought it would be fun. I am serious about lifting and am unsure how to work it all in which is why I am asking for advice. What would you suggest as a schedule?
  • beachlover317
    Options

Well that's what I am trying to figure out. I don't want to quit bootcamp which is a combination of strength and cardio (more strength than cardio but mostly bodyweight exercises).

Maybe I shouldn't add on the cardio kickboxing but want to try it out and thought it would be fun. I am serious about lifting and am unsure how to work it all in which is why I am asking for advice. What would you suggest as a schedule?

You will LOVE the kickboxing. I tried doing it on my rest days between lift days. My legs did fine, but my shoulder and arms were too sore the next day to lift at my best. It's a delimma. I chose weights because I'm trying to maximize my fat loss right now and cardio is not doing it for me. I really hope you work it out. If you're like me - I didn't exercise for so much of my life and now I'm finding so many things that interest me and I don't have enough time in a week!! !!

ETA: I think schedules are up to you. If you love boot camp, maybe someone who does that and also lifts will chime in. I try and kickbox on Sat or Sun now. Just for the fun. Like the other poster said, you're talking about some serious calories to fuel all that every week. :noway:
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    I bought the book NROLFW and have read through it. I want to start with phase 1 but I am not sure how to work it into my present routine. Right now I go to boot camp three days a week (Mon, Wed, Fri). This is non-negotiable. We do some interval training such as AMRAPs, Tabata, EMOTM, etc which sometimes includes 15-25lb kettlebells at the most for weight, but is more body weight exercises and some cardio.

If I want to do three days of NROLFW should I do it on the same days as boot camp, alternating days, or...? Want to make sure I have enough recovery time. I will also be doing a cardio kickboxing class hopefully two days a week.

I would lift 3 days bootcamp on the other 3. Drop the kick boxing and rest on the seventh day. If you feel like youre overdoing it then definitely cut it down to maybe lifting 1 -2 days a week if youre that set on bootcamp

Make sure your calories and protein are in check tho you will be burning a lot and need them to recover
  • jonesin_am
    Options

I would lift 3 days bootcamp on the other 3. Drop the kick boxing and rest on the seventh day. If you feel like youre overdoing it then definitely cut it down to maybe lifting 1 -2 days a week if youre that set on bootcamp

Make sure your calories and protein are in check tho you will be burning a lot and need them to recover

I guess you have to pick your priorities with something like this. So I think I might try lifting 2 days, boot camp 3 days, and kickboxing 1 day for now. Been wanting to try the kickboxing and have committed to go with a friend. But I might end up dropping that kickboxing for an extra day with the weights. But I def don't want to overdue it and not give my muscles time to recover.

And is it okay to add in a little more cardio? Say running 3 miles at lunch time (about 30-35 minutes). I'm thinking it's probably too much but am not sure if that is a light enough cardio to not do much damage.
  • beachlover317
    Options

I guess you have to pick your priorities with something like this. So I think I might try lifting 2 days, boot camp 3 days, and kickboxing 1 day for now. Been wanting to try the kickboxing and have committed to go with a friend. But I might end up dropping that kickboxing for an extra day with the weights. But I def don't want to overdue it and not give my muscles time to recover.

And is it okay to add in a little more cardio? Say running 3 miles at lunch time (about 30-35 minutes). I'm thinking it's probably too much but am not sure if that is a light enough cardio to not do much damage.

I guess my question is - What is your goal? To train that hard - you must have some kind of goal. Overtraining is not going to be a good thing. You love boot camp, you want to lift. When you have too many balls in the air - something will have to give. Usually it's everything that falls apart. Figure out what your goal for all this exercise is and then train for that goal. As I said before - in training - more is not better.
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options

More than an hour a day is really over kill unless you are specifically training for something.

And yeah the running is too much you should be getting more than enough cardio from the bootcamp/boxing
  • jonesin_am
    Options
    Great, thank you for your help! I don't want to give up boot camp because it's a special group of people. The support, etc that I get from it is not something I am willing to give up. I can't explain it but being a part of this group is how I got where I am. We push each other & support each other; a all for one and one for all kinda thing.

But I want to burn fat by building muscle. That is a def goal. So the extra cardio I can give up without a problem. Thanks again for your help.