Terrible Snacker. Any tips on how to stop this?

Options
I literally came home from work tonight and just ate and ate and ate... I find it very hard to say no, which is my worst thing when dieting.. I had breakfast, lunch and dinner and then went to work and had a few snacks on my break etc. then came home starving and ate lots of stuff such as cereal, crisps and chocolate :( any tips on how to stop these late night snacking habits? I only really get this bad when I come home from work at night :/

Replies

• kaylinn9
    kaylinn9 Posts: 112
    Options
    1st thing you have to do - get rid of the temptation! Throw away all your weaknesses, especially the extremely unhealthy things like chocolate and white bread, and pray that your family members are understanding.

If you're hungry, drink tons of water (which I'm sure is advice that's been given way too much, but you can't overstress the significance of drinking water), drink tea if you're not up for water, buy Special K junk foods (they're low cal and should keep you full), and Fiber One granola bars (these are about 100cal each and keep you full til dinnertime).

If you have food that are super easy for snacking, they're going to tempt you.
  • ijavagypsy
    Options
    Do you think that you can work your late-night snacking into your plan? I ate tons of calories at night and maintained a normal weight because I accounted for it. (That was when I was in my 30's and 40's. After 55 and getting a sedentary job, all bets were off.)
  • amandammmq
    amandammmq Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I suggest you consider opening up your diary and letting people see what you're eating every day. You might be overcompensating for not enough food during the day, or poor nutrition!

Here are things that help me:
    1. Eating loads of healthy food so that I'm full all day. Tons of fruit, veg, whole grains, nuts, etc. Feel free to look at my food diary.
    2. Never buy crisps, chocolate, cookies, biscuits, etc. If they're not in the house, you can't eat them.
    3. Brush your teeth after every meal. You're less likely to be snacking if you JUST brushed your teeth.
    4. Drink plenty of water.
    5. Just grit your teeth through a few days of good eating. Once the sugar rush is out of your system, you won't crave the junk quite so much.
  • rubyrubyruby1
    rubyrubyruby1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Figure out why your eating and then work on that. A lot of people end up emotional eating after a long stressful day at work, try finding a healthy replacement behavior
  • Vegan_Runner
    Vegan_Runner Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Find other things to do so you do not have idle time on your hands. Read, clean, go for a walk, play with your cat/dog/kids, drink lots of water and decaf Tea, go exercise,
  • BeckyBaine
    Options
    Get rid of the bad snacks, and fill your home with healthy snacks. As soon as you get your groceries home, wash and cut up your veggies and fruit so they're ready when you need them. I snack a lot at work because I HATE being hungry. I take lots of fruit, veggies, low calorie/fat free yogurt, and a Special K treat every day. Snack before you become starving so you don't binge. I take a big container of veggies to eat during my one hour commute home, so I'm not starving when I walk in the door. If you do all of that, and combine it with willpower, you'll be able to resist the temptations!
  • CloverCreeper
    CloverCreeper Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Eat more protein.
  • raeleek
    raeleek Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Gum.

The evenings are the worst for me. I have my meals and I'm fine during the day and then a few hours before bed it's like this ridiculous snacking craving comes over me. It's a lot of will power to shut it up but gum has helped me a lot.

I chew on a piece of gum and find a distraction and it pushing the craving off. If it comes up again I get a new piece of gum and find something else to focus on.

It comes and goes. I do think that food can be an addiction like any other, and like any other addiction you have to find a way to work through it and exercise willpower. Eventually the snacking will lose its power. That's my hope and that's what I keep telling myself! :wink: